• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
marksorrento205

Challange For Welshpug

marksorrento205

Does anyone know a part no, pref not a gen pug rape your wallet one, for a 205 SQUARE Drive PAS Lower Column Linkage that are ideal for fitting a vts rack? A GSF or Ecp one would be ideal

marksorrento205

Fcuk me that was quick. I had a bet on ten mins, but bugger me :)

Cheers :D

marksorrento205

Not a bad price too :) Better than the pug rapeage! I will pop down tomorrow and take a look at one.

welshpug
:) just in from looking at a clutch cable on a 106 :D

steve@cornwall
bugger me :)

Cheers :D

I'd never, ever say that to a Welshman :D

welshpug

oi!

s fine, he's not woolly.......

CosKev
oi!

s fine, he's not woolly.......

I beg to differ :)

He's as woolly a man as you will ever find!!!!! :D

marksorrento205
:)

jackherer

Some of the ECP columns have a rubber bush in them unlike the OEM part. I had one and decided to weld it up around the bush which has been fine for ages but I wouldn't knowingly buy one with a rubber bush now I know to check.

marksorrento205

Brilliant, thanks for that. I will get them to order it in to check it out and its the one before I buy it. As wp said, its a shame the gsf site is so crap. I may pop in to gsf and ask them too.

Tom Fenton

Watching this with interest, as I've a Xsara VTS rack to fit.

Anthony

Are you sure that's a square one Mei, as I can't see it explicitly mentioned anywhere and the vast majority of 205/309 PAS racks have a spline fitment....?

welshpug

I see what you mean Anthony, there's no specific detail about the fitting, now I think about it all the later cars I've come across have the square type joint regardless of PAS or not, does that ring true with your experiences?

pug part numbers which ECP and GSF would be able to cross reference to are;

4103 98 STRG WHL SHAFT - GTI (for post 91 PAS)

the type Jackherer describes sound like;

4103 94 - EXCEPT GTI....

pre 91 PAS cars listed with 4103 98 as well, though with a note regarding the length of the upper joint being 55mm from bolt hole to the centre of the pivot.

part number for PAS column to suit joint with 43mm long clamp/pivot is 4103 67, this is NFP.

there is no information on there to suggest which is a splines and which is a square type pinion, though the images for the steering racks look like all "SINCE SERIES 23420001" are square pinions?

the images on the files show a spline rack UNTIL DATE 19890930, and square since on the 309.

Edited by welshpug

Anthony
I see what you mean Anthony, there's no specific detail about the fitting, now I think about it all the later cars I've come across have the square type joint regardless of PAS or not, does that ring true with your experiences?

I've personally never come across a 205/309 PAS rack that's square drive (to the point I didn't believe such a thing existed until very recently!) and the vast majority of racks that I've seen/removed have been from Phase 2 205 and 309 GTi's, TD's etc. It was suggested that very late 205 TD's (like STDT's) had the square drive racks on, but having removed the UJ from a L-reg 205 TD in the scrappy a few weeks back, that was also spline drive :rolleyes:

FWIW, I know that in the past, the PAS UJ's supplied by ECP have been spline fit as well.

As for non-PAS, I've never quite figured out what cars have spline and what square drive racks, as either there was little logic in how they were fitted from the factory, or (more likely) I keep coming across cars that have had the steering racks swapped at some point - certainly I've had and worked on both early and late cars that have had both types of rack on them. It's worth pointing out that ECP again only list a single lower UJ part-number for non-PAS cars (claimed as being for '83 to '97) which makes very little sense when unlike PAS (in my experience atleast), both square and spline types seem to be common for non-PAS and are obviously not interchangeable without swapping the rack as well.

marksorrento205

I have only ever seen splined drived ones hence I asked the question. I have had a gander around a couple of very late derv's that were in the scrappy and all were splined. That was both td and d. Im gonna pop down to ecp now and see if they have one / order one in to have a look at it. Fingers crossed :)

ade 4wd

I have also never seen a square drive on a 205 PAS rack, but i have seen the rubber bush in the lower uj on very late 205 PAS cars.

welshpug

hmm, so who said there were square drive 205/309 PAS racks? :D

have to say I've only ever taken one PAS rack off a 309 and it was a G reg and splined :) ll the sure drive racks were either manual or 306's

Edited by welshpug

marksorrento205
sorted this earlier i was scratching my head decidind what to do with the xsara rack and decided to change the damaged gaitor. remembered there was an old standard rack i took off a gti month or so back when i broke the tt so thought save going the garage il take a gaitor off that which is when i realised it had a square drive coloumn on it !! :o:D

fitted it and it went straight on and into the car perfect fitt ;)

no idea what its from tho. was on a car that had been tt converted.

i will be fitting new tre's when i get some but i didnt swap the arms over. they were a lil longer but couldnt figure out how to remove them as were different on both racks??

when i swap the tre;s if it looks like the arms are too long to be sorted by adjusting the tre's in further i might just cut half an inch off both the arms as the threaded bit is quite long :)

Just to make this clear:

The linkage you need is a 205 SQUARE Drive PAS Lower Column Linkage, this is a direct fit and will not require modifications.

All praise the Gti has tried and tested this after I found out about this little gem :D

ade 4wd

I have trawled the internet looking at 205 PAS racks and all are splined. Has someone got a picture of a 205 PAS lower uj with a square drive?

marksorrento205

Funny enough, I have just looked at a 205 rack I have at mine. Its a non pas one but it has a square drive. Is it common for the non pas racks to be square not splined?

Also, would it be possible to swap over the input part from a splinned 205 pas rack onto a vts rack? Im guessing not as the gearing would be different.

ade 4wd

205 non PAS racks can be either splined or square drive.

If the gearing is different then no you could not change the VTS input shaft to a 205 one.

Edited by ade 4wd

welshpug

indeed the gearing would be different, one thought I had earlier was to split the UJ and fit the square section from the 306/xsara column? don't know if that would be possible, or if the joint can't be split then maybe fit the whole joint onto a 205 column shaft.

must be able to do something, after all they were made in some way in the factory :)

jackherer
the type Jackherer describes sound like;

The one I got with a rubber bush was spline drive, I was just warning people to look out for that, I have never seen a square drive PAS column.