• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

1.6 Gti Brake Options, Need Bigger Ones.

pugpete1108

i have been doing some reading with regards to what brake options i have for my gti.

currently it has 1.6 hubs and shafts, and i was under the impression i would need to change the whole lot to upgrade the brakes to anything worthwhile.

i now understand that i can fit base model hubs to my 1.6 shafts which will allow me to fit larger brakes from say a 307hdi or similar?

question is what IS a base model 205? an xs? a diesel? or even a base model 309? or what?

hope someone can help clarify this for me as im up the scrappy during the week and want to go hub hunting.

Miles

Any Non GTi hub from a 205 is fine, 1.1, 1.4, 1.7D etc, No 309 ones as they all share the 1.9 hub

pugpete1108

cool cheers miles, there is a cj down the scrappy for sure if not there is a van and another 205 that should do.

my 1.6 callipers will fit on base hubs correct? just need different offset disks (just in case i cant get hold of hdi callipers immediatly)

come to think of it, would the mi16 disks and callipers fit the base model hubs? or is it waaay off, i remeber baz saying the hubs were miles out but not sure on the other bits

Edited by pugpete1108

james_pug

I've some base model hubs in the garage you can have for a tenner, one needs a new bearing but I think the ball joint holes are ok, also woodgates should have some 266mm brakes and calipers they were common on 306's I had some from there a while ago and they were only £30 Inc discs.

pugpete1108
I've some base model hubs in the garage you can have for a tenner, one needs a new bearing but I think the ball joint holes are ok, also woodgates should have some 266mm brakes and calipers they were common on 306's I had some from there a while ago and they were only £30 Inc discs.

cheers james, i'll text ya and we can sort something it out.

what bearing would i order?

Richy_cti

if you get the 1.9 hubs dont the 306 gti-6 calipers and disk just bolt on?

ade 4wd
if you get the 1.9 hubs dont the 306 gti-6 calipers and disk just bolt on?

Yes they do but the OP has 1.6 driveshafts that will not fit 1.9 hubs.

CharlieBoy

If it were me, I'd be tempted to stick with the stock 1.6 setup and go with braided lines (Miles can do these), in addition to some half decent brake fluid (ATE Super Blue is relatively cheap for what it is) and fast road pads (Mintex M1144s).

I have the above and to be honest it gives good feel and doesn't stop too badly either (my discs were relatively new from when I bought the car mind you and my master cylinder was also changed). IIRC the 1.6 setup is quite light too meaning that it has less to stop.

Otherwise you'll need to swap the hubs and go forth with the caliper upgrades as suggested above.

pugpete1108

not too worry.

i got a set of base model hubs from james cheers dude.

and managed to get a set of 380mm disks,callipers,pads and hoses from a 307 hdi for 40 squids today with barely any wear either :ph34r:

welshpug

oh well, there goes the nice light steering and agility :ph34r:

pugpete1108
oh well, there goes the nice light steering and agility :ph34r:

i'll trade a bit of handling for actually stopping any day :D believe me my brakes were pooh.

they are heavy though i give you that, i nearly couldn't carry them from one end of the yard to the other. my arms were proper burning

Edited by pugpete1108

welshpug

disks on their own weigh near double the originals :ph34r:

CharlieBoy

If they feel crap, it will almost certainly be down to a poor component, be it fluid (an underrated thing that should be changed every two years), sticking calipers, iffy lines or leaking rear slave cylinders. For what the calipers cost new (<£50 each), I'd just repair what's on there, but each to their own. If your master cylinder is on its way out, you'll still not have the full potential from your brakes.

Edited by CharlieBoy

pugpete1108
If they feel crap, it will almost certainly be down to a poor component, be it fluid (an underrated thing that should be changed every two years), sticking calipers, iffy lines or leaking rear slave cylinders. For what the calipers cost new (<£50 each), I'd just repair what's on there, but each to their own. If your master cylinder is on its way out, you'll still not have the full potential from your brakes.

i can assure you everything was replaced when i refitted the brakes.

new m/c, new pads and fluid, new pipes including flexi's. the callpers were checked and were not leaking or seized.

it went through the mot fine as they are with plenty of grip (or so the mot guy said), i guess after driving other cars for 5 yrs i have got used to much better brakes, so these felt bloody terrible. who knows? anyway its done now