• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Team BDR

Faded Red Paint

Team BDR

I've a '89 1.9 gti which I believe to be cherry red. The paintwork has faded to orange and I was wondering what I could do to revive it? I've just had a go with cutting compound and it hasn't touched it. I cannot find the paint code and I've searched and read that if its POKB then the 'O' means its lacquered. My polishing cloth didn't turn red so does this confirm its lacquered?

Is my only option a full respray?

Can peugeot confirm my paint code if I supply the VIN number?

Are there any guidelines of when the colours changed from lacquered to un-lacquered?

thanks in advance,

Rob

Paulmac19
I've a '89 1.9 gti which I believe to be cherry red. The paintwork has faded to orange and I was wondering what I could do to revive it? I've just had a go with cutting compound and it hasn't touched it. I cannot find the paint code and I've searched and read that if its POKB then the 'O' means its lacquered. My polishing cloth didn't turn red so does this confirm its lacquered?

Is my only option a full respray?

Can peugeot confirm my paint code if I supply the VIN number?

Are there any guidelines of when the colours changed from lacquered to un-lacquered?

thanks in advance,

Rob

Try here for restoring colour back

click

Paint codes help you will find here

click

Team BDR

Hi Paul, Thanks for the reply. I have searched and had read both of those topics. I guess my question is has anyone polished a POKB laquered car and managed to restore the colour? I don't want to burn through any laquer if it isn't going to revive the colour,

Thanks,

Rob

mikeygulley

I have an 88 plate cherry red 1.9 and it has faded. Turtle wax seems to bring it back temporarly but Im not sure if it is laquered.

Team BDR
I have an 88 plate cherry red 1.9 and it has faded. Turtle wax seems to bring it back temporarly but Im not sure if it is laquered.

Is your paint code stamped near the headlight or on the strut? Does your polishing cloth turn red?

Atari Boy

I may be wrong, but I thought that all cherry red cars were lacquered.