• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CharlieBoy

Which Springs To Go For On A Road Car On A Coilover Setup?

CharlieBoy

It's a commonly asked question but I figure since I am running a slightly unorthox setup, I may as well get an answer I require. I was planning to enter the 205 challenge but this plan has been put onto the backburner for the timebeing (although as with anything, this can change).

At the moment, my car is on the following setup:

Front: Compbrake bodies with Spherical top Mounts. Bilstein Gravel inserts (250/120) on 'tarmaic' Springs (2.25" diameter, 10.5" length, 200lb) on Polybished arms

Rear: Stock (albeit renewed rear beam) Pug Racing Solid rear beam mounts, and Bilstein 1038 (Group N) Dampers.

Much to my surprise the ride is actually quite nice on the road as is the roadholding, but I cannot help think that the front could grip a little better (but it does need the tracking doing I admit) in terms of grip, although I do wonder if the front is too high. Saying that it is a better drive that what it was before. What measurements do you guys have for a stock height 205? Between the lip of the arch and the tyre (I should have done the wheel centre TBH) I'm reading around 70cm.

I guess what I am asking is if I left my setup as it is, what springs would you recommend for a road car (I plan to take the car to the 'Ring at some point and plan on fitting some new road tyres on soon), and is it possible that my springs are 'too high' for road use causing geometry issues and unenven tyre wear (although I cannot notice the uneven tyre wear just yet).

Suggestions are welcome :o.

Edited by CharlieBoy

welshpug

I've driven a car specced exactly like yours, and it was bloody horrible handling car I'm afraid to say.

The problem IMO is the massively imbalanced spring rates from front to rear, that will make the front feel like it has no grip as the rear in effect has too much.

i.e you need to sort out that beam, the rear dampers you have will take stiffer torsion bars.

Unless there's a massive difference in front to rear ride height, making it lower wont give you any more grip, though the sills should be at the very least level if not slightly nose down.

I'd leave the front spring rate as is for the time being, especially with the alloy block 8 valve, plus the damper inserts you have are not designed for higher rates.

CharlieBoy

Well, due to user error the sills are now level :).

I guess you'd leave the front spring rate, and make the rear stiffer. What bars would you suggest for a 205? (I also assuming that you are also Welshpug from the GTi-6 forum no doubt). I also assume it's not worth lowering the front spring rate?

Edited by CharlieBoy

welshpug

indeed that yes, as for which bars to go for, its much of a personal preference, some prefer to mildly upgrade the torsion bars and go heavier on the rear ARB, others go slightly stiffer on the bars and less so on the arb.

I found this - http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...mp;#entry833109

as well as;

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...mp;#entry645690

I'd probably go for something like 21 or 22mm to match the front rate

CharlieBoy

Is it worth me for the timebeing decreasing the front spring rate? Call me a panzy, but I'd like to leave the rear beam alone (it's a newish beam by the looks of things and in good condition, most seem to go kaput by being split I have noticed in the past), and the fact that springs may be just a little cheaper I admit.

Or is it worth me holding out for the rear bars, bearing in mind I'll need to change them back to stock depending on if I compete in the car.

Batfink
Is it worth me for the timebeing decreasing the front spring rate? Call me a panzy, but I'd like to leave the rear beam alone (it's a newish beam by the looks of things and in good condition, most seem to go kaput by being split I have noticed in the past), and the fact that springs may be just a little cheaper I admit.

Or is it worth me holding out for the rear bars, bearing in mind I'll need to change them back to stock depending on if I compete in the car.

160-170lb would be a good start then