• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DanielKamar

Bilstein Challenge

DanielKamar

I've seen a lot of talk about the Bilstein Suspension, and read a few things but still have some doubts!

In what consists the "Bilstein Challenge" setup? Are they Bilstein B8 look alike shocks? Are they stiffer that usual? Are they way too stiff for some bad roads? Where to get those Billies? What's the best compromise in suspension, considering Bilstein's range of shocks?

I was thinking of getting new suspension for my 1.6 and have seen some Gaz coilovers, but things with many possible setup's are way too easy to screw up, and Bilstein + Eibach seem'd a nice setup for street and trackday use, as I do 4 ou 5 trackdays a year! What do you guys think about it?

Best regards and many thanks in advance!

Batfink

They are from the Bilstein motorsport range rather than being an off the shelf item like B8 dampers. The manufacture is the same as the B8's though, being a shortened damper unit with monotube internals.

DanielKamar
They are from the Bilstein motorsport range rather than being an off the shelf item like B8 dampers. The manufacture is the same as the B8's though, being a shortened damper unit with monotube internals.

I've seen that Kam Racing sell them.. do you considerer them way too stiff for daily driving? What would they be like, with some Eibach springs?

Many thanks mate!

rescue dude
I've seen that Kam Racing sell them.. do you considerer them way too stiff for daily driving? What would they be like, with some Eibach springs?

Many thanks mate!

You mean these ones.

RossD

Many thanks mate!

Very very good! :D

Stiff but not harsh, handles very nicely with them on.

Edited by RossD

Richy_cti

i bought a sat of FK automotive sports shocks and springs and there very good value for money lower stiffer and not to harsh on the old mountin roads eather

rescue dude

I do wish the companies that sell springs would put the spring rates. B)

Anthony

Another one here running Bilstein Challenge dampers front and rear B)

I find them fantastic for the money, although I'm sure they used to be alot cheaper a few months back - have Bilstein increased their prices Kev, or did it just take a while for the effect of the rubbish exchange rate to come through? The damping rate is significantly higher than standard and possibly a touch over-damped on the rear, but they are fine for road use - I was doing a 75 mile trip every day for work using mine without issue, and most people that have been in it have commented how well it rides.

I'm using a pair of Koni 20mm lowering springs with mine on the front, and a 309 GTi beam (20mm TB's) on the rear.

Batfink

They went up in price about 18 months ago, when the pound was really nosediving against the euro.

I'll double check the pricing...

K.

DanielKamar

Thank you all for helping! It's now time to save a few €! :)

matt.f

Got the full GP-N set up on my road rally car-awesome!

Front struts look like they are built for tanks compared with the standard pug shocks lol

Miles

Huge misconception that, the small rod is in the Damper body, it really is thin

matt.f

Meant insert