• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
christopher

Does Copper Grease (eaze) Attack Rubber Seals?

christopher

Does copper grease attack the rubber seals on brake calipers?

I was just installed brembos and put quite a lot of grease behind the pads. I've never seen it before but I'm wondering if it is going to attack the piston seals?

Anyone??

205Rallee

Brembo's on a Rallye...why????

christopher
Brembo's on a Rallye...why????

:huh: Now I'm not that insane. These are for the family car (peugeot 405 T16)

IMG_6799%20(Large).jpg

I actually just bought some Mintex pads for the front on the Rallye because I don't think the standard

ones are up to the job. I get quite a bit of fade sometimes. I try to keep the rallye as standard as possible in keeping with the feel of the car:-) I have a 1.9 beam on it though.

joe1joe

i highly doubt it!

i have even used it on the piston when the dust seals have broken up and the caliper has seized slightly to prevent it re-seizing after i have got them moving freely.....

and that didnt damage the main seal

205Rallee

Try the Pagid RS4.2's, I use them on my Rallye with Std Peugeot OE discs and the braking is awesome from cold, especially with Kumho V70's. AND the pads don't chew up the discs even with left foot braking.

I've got 10mm spacers on my rear beam so I'm cheating too!

rallyjonesy205
Try the Pagid RS4.2's, I use them on my Rallye with Std Peugeot OE discs and the braking is awesome from cold, especially with Kumho V70's. AND the pads don't chew up the discs even with left foot braking.

I've got 10mm spacers on my rear beam so I'm cheating too!

Copper grease wont destroy the rubbers on the pistons or anything you may be worrying about. It will actually help reduce some of the noises you get from the brakes like sqeauling.

Jonesy

Beastie

I've seen it done many times without problems. The official line is that the only grease compatible with brake seals is rubber grease - nearly always red in colour.

rob_furious

i use copper grease on brakes all the time. its more likely to save the seals then kill them. normally the thing that kills the seals is just genral rubbish and muck getting in there. if u use a healthy ammount of copper slip u can easily clean off the rubbish next time ur under there. i always put a small amount on the back of the pads to stop noise.

BUT!!! be warned. dont over do it. copper grease is fairly thick but does melt with lots of hard braking and if you have alot of it all over your brakes it can run off on to the discs and mess up the braking friction. but iv yet to have this happen. key rule is everything in moderation.

Edited by rob_furious

welshpug

I only use copper grease sparingly on surfaces that dont slide, if they are sliders etc then they have the appropriate grease, rubber grease as mentioned by beastie would be used in this instance.

the name copper "grease" is a tad misleading I think, as it shouldn't be used as most people would use grease, its an anti-seize compound for use on static parts and has no long lasting lubrication qualities as such.

Edited by welshpug

rescue dude

I use copper grease on my wheel bolts too.

Totally agree with Welshpug.

Copper grease should only be treated as 'assembly' grease to help put something together and to help it come apart again later.

Edited by rescue dude