• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
austingm

Rear Supension After Rebuild

austingm

Car has been stopped for 9 months during the rebuild. I did not remove the engine or running gear but removed all the body trim and stripped all the interior. Right now all I have put back is a drivers's seat and seatbelt in order to be able to move the car to another garage.

When the rear goes over dips or humps in the road I hear a loud knocking noise coming from the rear. It sound like someone is hitting the underside of the car with a sledge hammer. :) The rear beam is not ceased and both sides move up and down as they should.

Any ideas what to start checking as the car is due for the Maltese version of MOT in three weeks and I need to get this sorted out.

Cheers

Austin

rescue dude

After a rebuild mine had a quite loud metallic knock from the back for about 3-4 weeks after. But it's now stopped.

No idea what it was. Mine did it when I was turning fairly sharp corners that had a dip or bump.

If you get to the bottom of yours let me know as it confused the hell out of me.

welshpug

could be the exhaust.

de Noir

does this sound occur when going straight or when turning/cornering?

austingm
does this sound occur when going straight or when turning/cornering?

Both, but more when straight if that makes any sense

RossD

Check shock absorber bolts are torqued up correctly and also that the anti-roll bar end plates are tight (The 13mm bolt on the end of them that is!)

de Noir
...and also that the anti-roll bar end plates are tight (The 13mm bolt on the end of them that is!)

..and before doing this, make sure teething both on ARB brackets and ARB isn't worn out

joe1joe

i would also sya the arb bar end plates would be a good place to start, as alot of strain is in theat area and there would be movement if the bolt was loose (only slightly) or possibly check that the seal spacing is set correctly.

arwel

I seem to have the very same problem. Very inconsistent noise. Its been checked by 3 mechanics and beam is in ok condition and its had new Bilsteins last month so that ruled the shocks out. I did wonder if it could be something to do with the rear arb. I'll have a nose at it when i get some time to get it off the ground. Any pics of these 13mm bolts so I know what im suppose to be looking for?

Edited by arwel

DrSarty

The Bilsteins are dampers; springs are shocks BTW. ;)

Might be worth checking the rear beam bracket mounts for the rear dampers for ovalling, as if they are ever fitted and not torqued up correctly they soon open up the thin metal of the brackets and then it's very noisy and crashy too.

If this is the case, the bracket needs repair or replacement. I've just had to do this, where one damper was rattling around to buggery.

austingm
i would also sya the arb bar end plates would be a good place to start, as alot of strain is in theat area and there would be movement if the bolt was loose (only slightly) or possibly check that the seal spacing is set correctly.

I tried to tighten the 13mm nut but it does not seem to tighten i.e. it just keeps on going round and never gets tighter.

Strangely enough, after this I took the car out for a test and it seems that the noise has stopped for now.