• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TKH

Rebody A Damaged Gti

TKH

Hello, I was wondering how hard would it be to convert a 1.1 / 1.4 shell in to a GTI?

Thanks

Edited by TKH

richsmells

Quite a bit of work, but not impossible.

Things to consider are engine mounts (TU->XU), rear arches are a different shape on the GTI and will require cutting, holes for trim clips etc.

Try a search as it's all been done before!

Tom Fenton

The main issue as far as I know is the rear wheelarches- the GTI versions are cut away at the top of the arch to clear the larger wheels, without this the 15" 1.9 style wheel will catch the arch metalwork.

You could cut away the area in question and then weld up the gap and paint it, but this is quite a bit of work, and you run the risk of rippling the rear quarter panels which will then forever look a pig.

The engine mounts I believe on the later cars after about 1988 to be the same between GTI and NON-GTI, but I'm sure someone on here with more experience of the smaller engines will be able to confirm this for you.

Personally, I would stick out for a GTI shell. Browsing ebay you often see stripped GTI shells for sale for not a huge amount of cash, not only do you end up with the right shell, you also don;t have the hassle of stripping all the crap off the 1.1 car you have bought.

Henry Yorke

The front wings are different too and 1.9 wheels can catch when lowered. Also the GTI arches will not fit easily front or rear.

not to mention the wiring loom, dash etc