• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tommer

Roll Over? Noooooo

Tommer

Hi Guys,

hoping someone can suggest a cause or somewhere to start looking...

When driving at say 50 - 60 on a straightish road or a slight bend, the car drives fine but as soon as you need to make a gentle turn like a gradual left the car feels like its going to flip over.

I thought it was tracking but that made no difference, I Thought it was where one of the subframe bolts had disappeared but replacing that has made no difference either.

The car is fine on small windy roads, but long fast roads eg the motorway is a bit worrying.

any help appreciated, gotta drive to droitwich tomorrow, and not looking forward to the motorway ;)

Cheers in advance

welshpug

rear beam bushes, bearings etc, front wishbone bushes or balljoints, balljoint clamp stretched/ovalled.

play in track rod balljoints (inner or outer) top mount bushes/bearings.

shot dampers.

could be all manner of things really.

kyepan

The chances of it actually rolling over, are probably very slim.

jack up the front and visually inspect the springs, to make sure they are not broken.

stand in the boot and jump up and down, both sides should move, both sides should be level.

If it happens on both left and right bends one would assume it's not a problem with just one side.

Check your anti roll bar drop links are ok.

jack up the rear and check that both sides fall to the same level to check the rear beam is not ceased, and both the wheels point inline the car.

Really badly worn rear beam mounts can lead to passive rear steer when you least expect it, if the beam has not been off before, chances are these are pretty shagged.

does it suddenly lurch when cornering evenly? does it steer where you point it mid bend if you try to change direction?

cheers

J

Tommer

yeah it does lurch, it will be fine round a gradual bend then all of a sudden whoa!

I rebuilt the beam not long ago so hoping its not that. will double check all steering components after work tomorrow

BERTMAN

i had a similar feeling recently, turned out to be the wishbone bushes.

Paul_13

Sounds like ovalled hub/wishbone bushes

Tommer

cheers all, will check out tonight :)

DrSarty
Sounds like ovalled hub

Yes. Sudden lurch very, very often caused by this.

It's where the wishbone balljoint spigot is clamped into the hub carrier assembly.

It can be caused by a weak/worn out or bent pinch bolt in this area too, so it's best to replace just the bolt first.

Baz (on here) sells high tensile bolts with lock nuts at a very good price. I would start there.

Otherwise (as Welshpug says), is everything else in order? Are your tyre pressures 28-20 psi all round? Is your steering rack and subframe bolted up properly? Is the tracking good?

But the sudden lurch leans me towards ovalled hub or poor pinch bolt.

jord294

some people often make the mistake of over-tightening the pinch bolt for the wishbone balljoint

correct torque is something like 20Nm

skinner2k3

The closest feeling I have had to that was driving the car with a collapsed rear beam. I would steer into a corner then moments later the car felt like it would steer some more from the rear. Is the camber the same on both rear wheels?

luggy
When driving at say 50 - 60 on a straightish road or a slight bend, the car drives fine but as soon as you need to make a gentle turn like a gradual left the car feels like its going to flip over.

Only time when I've doing motorway driving where I felt unsafe where I had the feeling the rear end was going to stepout was in the rain when hitting puddles front offside, on replacement of the front shocks the NSF had little compression left and the piston would gradually drop back into the shock body. :)

Tommer

10 out 10 for those who suggested the pinch bolt at the ball joint

it had snapped!!

replaced and feels SOO much safer!

Thanks guys :lol:

jimistdt

Wowser, lucky the the entire assembly didn't collapse! I once had a similar experience (lack of concentration when putting everything back) and my arse was like a rabbits nose when I saw the pin 1/2 way out of the hub!