• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
woodsy

Failed Mot On Brakes

woodsy

My god what a week, i had a customer/mates gti in for mot and failed on front wheel bearing, o/s rear footbrake low effort so not too bad i thought and its a very tidy car aswell.

Anyway ordered a new drive flange as i changed this bearing last year aswell and did say if it goes again its down to slight damage on the flange.

I managed to get new one from ECP only to find out they sent me a 1600 one so when i stripped it down it wouldnt fit the shaft so ordered another.

Then with right flange i went to fit the bearing and again they sent me wrong one but sorted all that out.

The mot guy advised handbrake effort was low but passed it so could do with new callipers but my mate could get them in couple months i thought and save some cash.

Right then the footbrake fault, i bleed the rear brake and fluid poured out so thought wont be the compensator and then the bleed nipple snapped off so obviously new calliper needed sooner then, couldnt undo the goodridge hose going into it as was stuck solid even had mole grips but wouldnt budge so had to get new hose for it. Then the brake pipe wouldnt undo from said hose so that snapped aswell so had to make that.Even with all that replaced still footbrake no good, so thought ok lets remove compensator and try that and brake worked well then so ordered a compensator from SBC and fitted that.

Even with new one brake was then no good again, getting annoyed now. I then thought i will try master cylinder as last resort so fitted a spare one i had but the brake pedal didnt feel great with that one and then the other bleed nipple snapped on calliper so had to replace that along with hose and metal brake pipe like other side.So back to square bloody one again.

Mot guy suggested rear discs maybe glazed and must admit the side that not working well the disc was slightly pitted etc so thought lets get new ones on get them bedded in and be fine then, nope this time it gave a reading on rollers but nowhere near good enough.

Went to dentist which cheared me up even more so when come back i reffited original master cylinder and removed both compensators and brakes feel great now and passed the mot without them.

I also ended up fittting new steering rack as the old quickrack was worn out and track rod end as that was knackered.

I am going to say to him to try it without compensators and see what he thinks of braking and if rears are to good when hard braking i will refit them.

Anyone had this strange fault before as these last few days i been pulling my hair out, so now he owes me a bloody fortune for parts and aint worked my labour out yet :rolleyes:

Just thought i would post this and get my frustration out in the open :(

Edited by pugtorque
Punctuation added, please use or topics / posts will be deleted in future.

welshpug

Is your ENTER key broken?

m_attt

glad im not the only one thinkin that, its very hard to read

pug_ham

PM sent.

Please use punctuation & paragraphs when posting.

Graham.

jord294

speaking from experience

if you had poor o/s rear brakes, i would say change the n/s compensator

it's quite a common fault, as others will say :)

woodsy
speaking from experience

if you had poor o/s rear brakes, i would say change the n/s compensator

it's quite a common fault, as others will say :lol:

Sorry guys about the lack of spacing etc.Why you reckon change the n/s compensator when the o/s is faulty as

the brake lines on o/s to and from compensator goto the o/s brake as same as other side.If the n/s brake pipes where routed to o/s i would agree but it aint like that

jord294

it's quite often the case that the faulty compensator is over-feeding, if you understand?

simple solution is to remove both compensators. a few people have done this when fitting the gti6 front brakes

woodsy

Car passed now with both the compensators removed, very strange though as it was no good even with new one. I even had loads of fluid coming out when bleeding so should have been ok but wasnt the case.These things are sent to try us hey. :lol: