• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rallyman205

205 Diesel Rear Arb

rallyman205

does any one know the size of the 205 1.8 d rear roll bar .just looking at the size of the front one and its mahoosive compared to a gti one (i feel a modification coming on here to make the front one fit)

different subject but also i need to know the final drive ratios for a 1.8 d be3 box as well ,

Anthony

In my experience, 205 diesels either don't have a rear ARB at all, or have a 14mm item.

rallyman205
In my experience, 205 diesels either don't have a rear ARB at all, or have a 14mm item.

cheers i wont know till i strip the beam but if it has one i guess it will probably be the 14mm item then ..bugger

RossD

You won't get the front ARB to fit either as it's a base model design, i.e totally different to the GTi setup.

Also all a fat front ARB will do is promote lots of understeer!

rallyman205
You won't get the front ARB to fit either as it's a base model design, i.e totally different to the GTi setup.

Also all a fat front ARB will do is promote lots of understeer!

bet i do . the front of my 205 needs to be oversprung to control body roll and a higher rate arb will allow me to run a lesser spring rate allowing better rebound control thus reducing understeer if its set up correctly ,which it will be when the dampers have been reshimmed

RossD

But how will you get a base model ARB to fit a GTi subframe?! They are different designs.

Anyway, isn't it the dampers that control rebound? Surely if you want to improve rebound you'd match the dampers to your springs. Putting a fat rollbar on just compromises the suspension surely, as it's now a lot less 'independant' than it was?

(Always willing to be proved wrong :lol: )

Edited by RossD

rallyman205
But how will you get a base model ARB to fit a GTi subframe?! They are different designs.

Anyway, isn't it the dampers that control rebound? Surely if you want to improve rebound you'd match the dampers to your springs. Putting a fat rollbar on just compromises the suspension surely, as it's now a lot less 'independant' than it was?

(Always willing to be proved wrong :( )

roll bar bolted straight on to gti subframe and will need to have the ends of the bar cut off and ground to flat to accept rose joints and bolt holes drilled to fit then lower arms drilled to accept mounting eyes for other end of new droplinks that i will make ..i cant see any problems here

rebound is the control the dampers have over the coil springs allowing the springs to uncompress at a given rate, too strong a spring rate can cause the rebound shims within the damper to deform which gives inefective damping and results in damper failure due to the rebound shim stack inverting under the piston .we already know having had my dampers on the dyno that my dampers are oversprung (to control body roll) and that the damping characteristics are more controllable using a softer rate spring (again been on the dyno) result stiffen up front roll bar to control body roll and come down on spring rate for better damping and spring control .hope this makes sense

RossD

Yea, the explanation is pretty logical! The only reason I was asking was because I've never really seen this mod being done before - There are plenty of guys who rallye and sprint on this forum who don't seem to have done it (Perhaps they simply haven't worked it out yet :( )

Good luck to ya chap, it'll certainly be good to get some feedback once it's done to see if it has improved it.

As far as I know the base model front ARB's go up to 23mm.

rallyman205

when i have done the mod i will post up some pics ..but this is not actually a priority at the mo cos i need to get the car straight and paneled up as my priority