• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dino20vt

Tb Threaded Stud With A Screw Slot In The End

dino20vt

I've lowered a couple of rear beams over the years but can't for the life of me remember if it matters if the threaded stud with a screw slot in the end is seized, will I still be able to pull the TB out? (The lock nut is off though)

Daviewonder

Yeah the bar will still pull out then you can work on unseizing the screw when its out.

welshpug

what do you mean by seized? you'll be able to turn it a few turns clockwise after taking the locknut off until it bottoms out on the torsion bar.

rallyman205

if the lock nut is off then the torsion bar will come out .you only need the screw to be free for refitting purposes to adjust the torsion bar in place

dino20vt
what do you mean by seized? you'll be able to turn it a few turns clockwise after taking the locknut off until it bottoms out on the torsion bar.

seized as in I can't do or undo it without wrecking it. Like said above though 'once' out i can attack it then.

Are the caps surrounding the thread easy to remove whist the slotted thread is in situe an/or the TB is still attached to the trailing arm as I'm sure I got them off to tw@t the TB through?

welshpug

not without destroying them in my experience, if the torsion bar is stuck in the trailing arm I'd just pull the arm off, you can get the torsion bar out fairly easily when separated from the crossmember.

dino20vt
not without destroying them in my experience, if the torsion bar is stuck in the trailing arm I'd just pull the arm off, you can get the torsion bar out fairly easily when separated from the crossmember.

I've managed to get the torsion bar out of the trailing arm end but it's stuck in crossmember end. Does it have to be pulled from the crossmember or can I hammer it out through the cap?

I know I could remove the torsion bars the conventional way by pulling with the aid of heat and a hammer but I'm strugling for room as the beam is attached to the car and I'm reluctant to remove it as I'm lazy and it requires no work as it's been refurbished a while and the shafts and bearings are A1.

welshpug

If you've got that far it's only 6 nuts and drop the exhaust to the floor B)

I wouldn't go hammering the torsion bar through that end cap as you would risk damaging the threads that the cap screw into, instead I'd use a sharp chisel and knock the cap round out of the threads, it'll come eventually and usually you will destroy it.

they can be ordered from peugeot though, 515405 PLUG 3.42 GBP

Alastairh

If it was me.

Drop the beam on the floor (it makes it alot easier and on a 205 1.9 you can remove all the brakes without undoing any hoses etc and no need to bleed brakes).

So with the beam on the deck, fit the trailing arm back in the tb and screwed in. Add some propane and you should get it out. I remove the shocks and use a spare shock bolt fitted in reverse and that way you can give the arm alot of s*it, but remain immaculate.

If you struggle mate, drop the beam off with me when your passing and i can sort it. 205 beams are easy to pull apart when your use to Xsara beams!

Al

dino20vt

I wasn't aware the car was threaded, I just assumed it was pressed in.

The last time I swapped a beam the exhaust system wasn't on the car so wasn't an issue but can I remove the beam with just the silencer removed and will the remains of the exhaust push down out of the way (once I've removed the rubber hanger)

welshpug

yup B)

dino20vt
If it was me.

Drop the beam on the floor (it makes it alot easier and on a 205 1.9 you can remove all the brakes without undoing any hoses etc and no need to bleed brakes).

So with the beam on the deck, fit the trailing arm back in the tb and screwed in. Add some propane and you should get it out. I remove the shocks and use a spare shock bolt fitted in reverse and that way you can give the arm alot of s*it, but remain immaculate.

If you struggle mate, drop the beam off with me when your passing and i can sort it. 205 beams are easy to pull apart when your use to Xsara beams!

Al

I'll give the inverted shock bolt method a try, good call and thanks for the offer, I'll keep you informed!

Daviewonder
The last time I swapped a beam the exhaust system wasn't on the car so wasn't an issue but can I remove the beam with just the silencer removed and will the remains of the exhaust push down out of the way (once I've removed the rubber hanger)

You can leave the rear box on, just remove the rubbers and lower the exhaust to the floor.

dino20vt

Whilst still attached to the manifold?