• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stutto

1.9 Fr Wheel Bearing From Gsf

stutto

I just opened the box, the bearing is the right size 36/42/82 and the circlip would appear to be the right size but the nut is definitely the wrong size and there is a split pin rather than an R clip.

Confusing. Does it mean that the nut and pin are for a 1.6 and the circlip may prove to be wrong also?

Part number on the box is hand written (413PC0040) the old PN is also there N41209.

welshpug

I wouldn't worry about it, I had the same with a pair of 306/406 ones a few weeks ago (same part as a 1.9)

The circlip was right but the nut was M20 instead of M24, so I just used the original nuts which was ok as they were the ones with the castellated covers and an R clip not staked ones.

No idea what the split pin is for but no pug uses them, but you never know what a bearing could also fit!

dobbo26

Hi have you stripped the hub yet?

stutto

Thanks, that has put my mind at ease.

I knew that the nut was smaller as I offered it up to an old drive shaft, but I didn't realise that it was that much smaller. (Was reluctant to open the bag in case it had to go back). It is taller and silver when my car also has the brass/gold coloured nut with the cover and R clip.

I just find this strange as I have bought a bearing from GSF before and I am pretty sure that the nut was correct.

@ dobbo - no the hub is not stripped yet, hoping to get my local garage to remove the old and fit the new bearing - I know they can be a right bugger.

Edited by stutto

jimistdt

At the end of the day they haven't supplied you with the correct product, so rather than re-use your old stake nut I would take it back and ask them to change it.

It is possible that the hand written label is an error, either way, it's not fit for purpose and you are entitled to your money back.

They will probably be fine about it, I'd ring them first and tell them then they can order one in for you then swap it, save going twice.

welshpug

They haven't supplied the wrong product Jimi, they just have a random Nut and split pin in the box with the correct bearing and circlip, I have done two in the past month and both were like this and fitted fine, apart from the nut and split pin as mentioned.

jimistdt

Thats a bit like me selling you a pair of trainers one with a normal lace and one with a shoe lace isn't it? Plus Stutto's paid for a bearing and associated fittings, not a lucky bag.

IMO

Edited by jimistdt

welshpug

I know exactly what you mean and agree, but in reality even if Stutto orders a dozen more, they'll all be the same.

Miles

Is it there own branded one? or a box OE bearing, I know there bearings are poor and the ones I had on my old 406 where noted as being nosie at the MOT when they where only 2 months old, Changed them and the same thing, Never use them now for bearings

SurGie

So are Pug the best place to get them then Miles ?

stutto

It is their own brand a 'vetech'(sp).

I did notice that ECP offer a similar price alternative of Orbis and the more expensive SNR. What is the Pug price and what brand of bearing do you usually get?

I googled Orbis but found very mixed reviews, some said fine and others said they were awful.

Edited by stutto

jord294

main dealer price is around £75 iirc

stutto

I think that I am going to take the GSF bearing back and get the SNR from ECP (£31.67).

I am just starting to think that going cheap on a part that I need to pay someone else to fit may well prove to be a false economy....

wildejon

I thought the same and got SNR ones, they've been absolutely fine :)

Miles

SKF, SNR are fine, Even some of the Pug bearings now are non descript ones

Ren

I fitted a pair of SNR front bearings last month from ECP and both of those came with the wrong nut and pin as well so I wouldn't hold out too much hope. I did the same as WP and reused the old ones.

stutto

I took the GSF bearing back, got a refund and the went down the road to ECP. (They are literally half a mile apart)

They had the SNF bearing on the shelf and it has the correct nut and R clip.