• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stutto

Feels Like Line Is Tightening During Lh Corners

stutto

Basically I was getting a feeling like the wheel was trying to tuck under in LH corners before my MoT and I suspected ovalled hub.

I have a spare hub but the bearing has excess play so I put it through as it was. Failed MoT on worn droplink so I fitted a new pair.

Now only six weeks later it feels similar to before the MoT, except now I would more describe it as the line tightening mid-corner. Could it be worn drop link again? The ones I bought were from GSF.

My tyre pressures seem fine.

Anthony

Whenever I've seen that symptom, it's been an ovalled hub or a hub-balljoint clamp bolt that's not tightened properly.

stutto

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is it possible for the bolt to work loose if the hub is ovalled?

I am pretty sure I torqued it up before the MoT but I just managed a fraction of a turn before it clicked.

I had used a new nut and bolt because I took the hub off to have a good look at the state of the hole.

pug_ham

If the nut & bolt are new they shouldn't work loose but one had on my car which was only discovered when I took it for an MOT.

Luckily it hadn't ovalled the hub.

Worn out drop links will not cause any symptom like this, they have very little to do with the actual steering of the var & are simply a link to the front ARB to stop it body roll.

Maybe you have a dead balljoint & a slightly ovalled hub?

Graham.

oz.

Check all the wishbone bolts. I found one of mine was halfway out!

rallyman205

it is also very possible that you have a damper issue if its tucking in on cornering ,give it a good bounce and watch the way the car rebounds

stutto

My wishbone ball joint felt OK a few weeks back and the front dampers feel consistent.

I think that I am going to switch the hub and see how it feels.

Paul_13

I've same problem, feels like the NS wheel is going to tuck under and is bloody dangerous. Nearly spun it!

I replaced wishbone and done tracking and it's still the same, must be a ovalled hub. Deffinately feels like it.

I'll be replacing the hubs over the weekend and i'll let you know how it goes.

stutto

When I changed the NS hub (IIRC) it was more obvious: you could hear a knock when switching from steering left to right going through an S bend.

This is slightly more subtle, I know that something is wrong but I can't pinpoint it for sure.

stutto

I changed the OS hub a couple of days ago and to be honest I was worried that I had gone to a lot of effort for no gain as the hub I took off did not appear to be too bad.

However the 'new' hub knocked my tracking out so there is definitely some difference and it feels much better.

Is it possible for the clamp to oval around the pinch bolt rather than the bottom? There was no noticeable ridge around the bottom, although I got a slight variation in the readings taken with a vernier - which in itself I found difficult because of the gap.

Or can a hub wear in another way to cause these sort of symptoms?

Edited by stutto