• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mikeygulley

205 Bad Vibrations

mikeygulley

Hey guys I need some quick advice/diagnosis.

My 1.9 gti has just all of a sudden started to send vibrations through the steering wheel when I steer left (noisy and very annoying). The only reason it has stumped me is because it started doing it about 5 minutes after changing the water pump and timing belt. I was think it was either wheel bearing or drive shaft? Anyone??

Cheers

rescue dude

Is it a hum if you know what I mean or a knock, knock , knock?

Edited by rescue dude

mikeygulley
Is it a hum if you know what I mean or a knock, knock , knock?

Its more of a hum, it starts by vibrating the steering wheel then if im shifting along and steer left it will start to shake the dash.

shalmaneser

Wheel bearing i guess.

Masekwm

Top mount tight?

mikeygulley
Top mount tight?

I hope so but will check. Would that cause it?

Masekwm

It was for me link took ages to find

mikeygulley
It was for me link took ages to find

Het guys I have changed the front shocks and all the bits but still the same :) I'm absolutely sure it isn't wheel bearings, could it be drive shafts?

Any advice would be great

Cheers

mikeygulley

I'm getting frustrated with my car!! :lol:

I have done the front suspension, new wishbones, a new drive-shaft (long one) and it still vibrates the steering wheel when turning left and pulling away. It doesn't do it when I just coast around left hand bends though.

Does anyone have any other ideas???

PLEASE

Masekwm

Have you checked that condition of that engine mount? Wheel balancing?

mikeygulley
Have you checked that condition of that engine mount? Wheel balancing?

Would that be the top engine mount? that might make sense as i changed the cam belt water pump and tensioner recently, it wasn't until i had done this the vibrating started.

Masekwm

Yeah, my link before was the wrong one.

Edited by Masekwm

ade 4wd

Sounds like a drive shaft to me. You say you have changed one side, i would check the other side.

mikeygulley

Well i will check the engine mount first then if nothing changes i guess i will just have to spend spend spend! :lol:

screwloose

My driveshaft just about gave up at a trackday recently and the drive home was very similar to what you describe.

mikeygulley
My driveshaft just about gave up at a trackday recently and the drive home was very similar to what you describe.

It is just getting my goat now, I changed the long shaft last night but not the short. I thought that it was going to be more than likely the long. I'm going to check the engine mount first though because its free.

mikeygulley

hey guys, job done! it was the top engine mount.

thanks for all your comments and tips.

cheers :rolleyes:

crackass999

Hmm,intetsesting. I recently changed headgasket, cambelt on my xu10j2te 2.0i 8v turbo and since then has developed a loud vibrating noise at idle and at high revs. It does seem to go when I jump on the brakes which is strange. Never thought to check the top engine mount, which would make sense because my mate was forcing the engine forward to allow me to get the hose on the outlet of the turbo which is really tight against the servo.

mikeygulley
Hmm,intetsesting. I recently changed headgasket, cambelt on my xu10j2te 2.0i 8v turbo and since then has developed a loud vibrating noise at idle and at high revs. It does seem to go when I jump on the brakes which is strange. Never thought to check the top engine mount, which would make sense because my mate was forcing the engine forward to allow me to get the hose on the outlet of the turbo which is really tight against the servo.

Mine ended up being the plate with the rubber stops, i had put it in the wrong way so the corners were rubbing and vibrating against the metal that surrounds the mount. :)