• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Changing To Rear Disks

pugpete1108

obviously it would be easier just to change the whole beam but seeing as i have just rebuilt mine i am reluctant to do so.

i have seem a complete 1.9 beam for sale so is it a case of just changing over the hubs and disks or wil i need to change to stub axles etc?

is it a ball ache of a job ?

fialing that what would i need to source to convert mine? hubs, disks, callipers and cables?

sorry just managed to get the search function to work and see that i will need to change the stub axles or the whole trailing arm to be a ble to fit the disks.

if this beam comes through cheap enough i'll take it and strip it and just fit the arms to my beam as much as i loath to touch the bloody thing again.

is this really a worth while exercise though or should i just uprate the front brakes and leave the drums?

Edited by pugpete1108

welshpug

stub axles are different, you'll need to knock or press them out, you'd need the calliper brackets, callipers wheel bearing/hub assemblies, not forgetting the spacer, plus discs and pads, handbrake cables.

I'd leave the drums well alone if they are working well, and just fit some decent pads and fluid :lol:

nowt wrong with a set of drums, far superior handbrake this side of a set of 2 pot calipers.

pugpete1108

tbh they are not working well at all thats why i was looking at changing them.

i'm not sure if i have set up the auto adjusters correctly? as i had virtually no braking on the pass side and only a little on the drivers.

i will invest in some new pads (it has had new fluid and all new pipes throughout) as there ia no actual wear on the drums themselves. and try and set the adjusters properly then.

and invest in some decent brakes for the fronts but seeing as it has 1.6 hubs i have alot to change.

Paul_13

Stick with drums and get them working properly :(