• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wildejon

Top Mounts - What Is Best For Road Use?

wildejon

I have Gaz coilovers fitted with alu eccentric top mounts and solid spherical bearings. This is for road use and after speaking with Rally Design they have suggested I move away from solid top mounts as they aren't designed for road use, which explain why they have play in them after 3000 miles and it also explains the knocking I'm hearing over bumps.

He suggested I could use roller bearings. Anyone have any thoughts on what the best approach is here?

Am I just asking for trouble keep fitting these solid mounts?

If that is the case, what is the best top mount to fit? Should I lose the eccentric mounts or can I keep them and use a different bearing type?

Thanks in advance!

lemmingzappa

Can you not use eccentric mounts with standard bearings ?

Edited by lemmingzappa

wildejon

I am not sure...

pug_ham

Does the fact you are using narrower springs with the gaz coilovers mean you have a different bearing thats built into the top mount (eccentric in your case) & it has a different narrower top spring pan so the original ones aren't used?

Graham.

Cameron

You can get replacement bearings relatively cheap, maybe get some more hard wearing ones instead?

wildejon

Graham, yes it is a different setup as you describe.

There is actually a decent explanation here. The 2nd and 3rd images show what I have, although the spacer between the cup and bearing is a seperate part on mine. The bearing was pressed (well, tapped) into the eccentric mount.

Cameron, I can indeed. I only know to get them from Rally Design though, the first lot lasted years but these died pretty quickly.

I guess my main question is, should I change the setup to something a little more forgiving for road use?