• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mickie

4 Pot Fixing Plate

mickie

i got these made up but a mate keeps telling me they aren't big enough. im probably typing it in wrong, on the search and google but i cant find anywhere that explains anything about this stuff..

mine are 6mm steel

IMG_2154-1.jpg

cheers for any help

Cameron

Tough call really, but I'd say 6mm wasn't thick enough and might flex or vibrate. You'd be better off with 10mm, and could get away without too much of a weight penalty if you were able to reduce the outside dimensions slightly. For example make the radii around those bolt heads all the same as the uppermost one.

Edited by Cameron

mickie

cheers dude, i'll definitely take your word for it and get some thicker ones made up ;)

cheers for the quick reply

wracing

I second Cameron its my opinion that 6mm is a bit on the thin side. its not so much the flex but the mounting hole deformation in such a thin bit of plate.

James

mickie

i know what you're saying. anothing thing is the bolts are threaded all the way down..

do you think the threads are likely to collapse ? obviously then allowing the plate to move, hmm

thats probably another one of my stupid questions, so i'll just play it safe and try getting the right soft of bolts too

Flange bolts

Edited by mickie

Rippthrough

It's strong enough - however as Cameron says, flex in the plate may be an issue and lead to tapered pad wear and an inconsistant pedal.

Edited by Rippthrough

Cameron

Yarp. It's not the cross section around the bolt the worries me, it's the thickness of the sheet that could allow the calliper to twist from the brake torque.

Sergio205
i got these made up but a mate keeps telling me they aren't big enough. im probably typing it in wrong, on the search and google but i cant find anywhere that explains anything about this stuff..

mine are 6mm steel

IMG_2154-1.jpg

cheers for any help

I made mine for 4-pot wilwoods out of 6 m metal plate as well, before I went for this I had in my hands original wilwood brackets - they are made out of 6 mm metal. What kind of steel they use - I don't know but considering the price of their OE brackets it has to be something ordinary.

My point is that your brackets are strong enough - IMHO, of course. To check if they flex - watch them when while someone push the brake pedal for you - you'll see if they flax and how much if they do.

Cameron

It's not that kind of flex that we're worried about though Sergio, it's the flex caused by the braking torque that will twist the calliper.

Sergio205
It's not that kind of flex that we're worried about though Sergio, it's the flex caused by the braking torque that will twist the calliper.

Do you mean the twist of caliper in the plane perpendicular to the plane of the disc?

welshpug

if you make it from 10mm thick plate I would imagine you can use the standard Bolts rather than some Machine screws like you have currently.