• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Wrighty_1988

Which Coilovers Do I Go For?

Wrighty_1988

Hello guys, i after a bit of advice for what coilovers to go for on my track/road XS Mi16 conversion, fully stripped etc etc.

Im not really upto date on all of the good websites for parts so at the moment im going by whats on ebay :blink:

Im thinking around 400 quid but am willing to go higher for better stuff.

On ebay there is :-

GAZ Adjustables at £410

AP Coilovers at £346

AVO at £517

Ive had a search on the wbesite and have not found anything definitive about the coilovers i have mentioned. Would someone be able to give me a bit of info or feedback about the ones i have mentioned and maybe throw in some other ones i should maybe go for?.

Thanks alot :wacko:

wracing

I'm on AVO's GTXs(800 pounds) and love them, but to be honest I cant really offer a comparison. A lot of the forum has GAZ due to the group buys.

The world of dampeners is a bit of a mine field, but for your price range your quite limited. As said GAZ seem a popular choice & good value, stay away from ebay coilovers I had a set on my mk2 golf and really regretted it!!

James

Edited by wracing

Baz

I wouldn't touch any of those i'm afraid, call me a snob but you really can't get decent coilovers for less than £500+

You'll be better off with some top rate fixed platform struts, Koni, Bilstein etc.

Anyway, since when have AP made suspension components?? :wacko:

Wrighty_1988
I wouldn't touch any of those i'm afraid, call me a snob but you really can't get decent coilovers for less than £500+

You'll be better off with some top rate fixed platform struts, Koni, Bilstein etc.

Anyway, since when have AP made suspension components?? ;)

don't know but they are sold on eBay as AP lol.

Think I'll start having a look at 35 to 40mm lower fixed suspension, should be okay stuff for what I can afford I would have thought :).

Cameron

I don't know, I had my Gaz GHA's (£350) for about 3 years and never really had any problems with them. They aren't amazing, but they'll do for road and light track use.

SurGie

Agreed ;).

Miles

Same here,

Avoid the cheaper Dampers as with everything you get what you pay for, The top of the range Gaz's by all accounts are not too bad but then you may aswell spend a little more and get some AST's for example.

The rears have always been the hardest item for damper people to get right due to the ratio of them

RossD

Front Eibach springs with fixed platform Bilstein shocks (Grp N spec) and rear Bilstein shocks (Again Grp N\Challenge spec\whatever they are known as at the moment) and I've never looked back, brilliant setup.

Wrighty_1988

Hey again guys, ive been looking on google and im finding it quite hard to find places that actually sell good suspension. The most i find have 200-250 pound kits etc, ive looked on KAM Racing and seen that you can get the GRP N full shock set up for 640 ish without springs. Just wondering if there is any good websites i should be taking a look at, or is it just persevere and try and find them? tar.

Baz

KAM Racing is Batfink on here, might be worth a PM.

Otherwise, i know PugRacing; Miles on here does Bilstein stuff.

Miles

I do the Billie stuff but the Group N parts I cannot get until the last qtr as ECP won;t be getting any until then

Batfink

I've got rears in stock but as miles says its a fair old wait. Worth it if you can though...

lemmingzappa
I don't know, I had my Gaz GHA's (£350) for about 3 years and never really had any problems with them. They aren't amazing, but they'll do for road and light track use.

Me too, haven't had any issues with them and great value from the old group buy.

jackherer

I've got a set of Gaz coilovers that are much older than any of the group buys, the people at Gaz were surprised a year or so ago when they saw them as the springs they had were the earliest type they ever supplied and they hadn't seen any for a long time. They have been on about four different cars, done loads of track miles, been crashed, all sorts and they are still fine. They don't look very good though, the corrosion on the early ones was quite bad if neglected.

number2301
Front Eibach springs with fixed platform Bilstein shocks (Grp N spec) and rear Bilstein shocks (Again Grp N\Challenge spec\whatever they are known as at the moment) and I've never looked back, brilliant setup.

It is a great set up, but be warned it is very very stiff. My car was rattling (more than a 205 normally does) going over thick white lines on the road once.

welshpug

I like the AST dampers, have experienced their Sportline kit on a 306, about £800's worth for all 4 corners to suit standard top mounts.

very comfortable even with the 285lb springs, better than B6/8 Bilstein and Eibach springs, but about £2-300 more expensive!

more comfy than a 205 on group A bilsteins too.

joe1joe

i havnt experianced many diffrent setups. but i have the gaz coilovers with rear bilstein group n and am very happy for the price.

and if you have and problems with the gaz dampers they can rebuild them which i didnt think was too exensive...

i think spring rates is realy important which gaz seemed to want to give me ones which were to hard!

lemmingzappa

I'm using 180lb springs with the Gaz setup for road use if that's any help.

wildejon

Mine are 200, bit too hard I reckon although it does handle nicely <_<

FYI regarding rebulid pricing. I had mine done last week. They said it was £25 a side for a service. I also needed 2 rods, came to a total of £94 for both fronts, not bad I reckon! Might mean it is really £25 to service both, not sure but not complaining.

joe1joe

i also have the 180lb springs with a 106 gti lump feels just about right. my get away with 200lb..............