• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205*31*

Upper U/j

205*31*

Is it a hard task to replace the upper u/j on the steering column?

cheers.

pug_ham

I think the upper uj is part of the upper column so you'd have to replace the whole shaft through the body.

Graham.

205*31*
I think the upper uj is part of the upper column so you'd have to replace the whole shaft through the body.

Graham.

Hi Graham well I have already had the lower u/j replaced and a new steering rack fitted but I still think there is abit of play in steering so been told to replace the upper u/j just wondered how hard it is to do.

cheers.

welshpug

pretty easy tbh,

steering wheel off, cowling off, loosen pinch bolt on UJ, unplug the indicator/light stalk + wiper stalk + ignition barrel, 4 nuts from the bracket and off it comes.

its covered in the haynes manual, you'll need to swap the ignition barrel to the new column, easy enough to do.

205*31*
pretty easy tbh,

steering wheel off, cowling off, loosen pinch bolt on UJ, unplug the indicator/light stalk + wiper stalk + ignition barrel, 4 nuts from the bracket and off it comes.

its covered in the haynes manual, you'll need to swap the ignition barrel to the new column, easy enough to do.

hi welshpug thanks for reply. I am still confused as to where the actual upper u/j is? so to replace the upper u/j you have to remove the lower one again?

I have got this picture from haynes manual and have circled what I presume is u/j?

post-15249-1276893621_thumb.jpg

TVH
hi welshpug thanks for reply. I am still confused as to where the actual upper u/j is? so to replace the upper u/j you have to remove the lower one again?

I have got this picture from haynes manual and have circled what I presume is u/j?

You will need to remove the lower column and the grommet to remove the upper part of the column. Upper uj seems to be a common fault on 205.

philfingers
You will need to remove the lower column and the grommet to remove the upper part of the column. Upper uj seems to be a common fault on 205.

i definately wouldn't remove the grommet. Undo the upper cowling and four 11mm nuts whoch hold the upper column in. Undo the upper to lower pinch bolt (13mm) and then the lower to rack pinch bolt. In fact there may not be a reason to remover the lower column at all, just the upper.

One thing to check. Turn the wheels to the right and then grab the tie rod where it comes out of the rack and see if there's play in the up down direction. it could be the NS rack bush has play, this can be replaced relatively easily,

Phil

pug_ham
I am still confused as to where the actual upper u/j is? so to replace the upper u/j you have to remove the lower one again?

You have circled the upper uj but its part of the shaft that runs right through the middle of the upper column bracket (item 3) which is held in the car by the four nuts as mentined by Meirion & Phil but I don't think you need to remove the lower uj or grommet to get the upper column off.

Remove the pinch bolt from the uj circled above inside the car & then with the four nuts removed they should come apart without to much trouble.

Graham.

welshpug

as Graham said, you don't need to remove the lower column, I'd certainly avoid doing so if possible as it can be a faff to get the grommet back in properly.

205*31*

thanks guys some mentioned I would have to swap the ignition barrel to new column but am not getting a new column am i? will be using same column again?

cheers.

welshpug

the upper U.J, as mentioned, is part of the upper column, so yes you will need to swap the ignition barrel.

philfingers

shaft within the column is easy to change so you won't need to swap the switch. That's providing you can order just the shaft and UJ and not the whole lot. Either way the shaft is easy to swap

205*31*

where am I best getting the upper u/j, will it be expensive from the dealers?

philfingers

good s/h one via the forum wanted ads' i should think. From a dealer no idea but possible expensive, the PAS lower one is £130 from memory or arounf £50 from www.peugeotparts.co.uk