• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Team BDR

Mintex 1155's

Team BDR

We were inspecting our mintex 1155's for wear when we noticed that they were cracked, has anybody else experienced this? they also don't seem to be making any dust. The discs have a tinge of blue and are quite heavily scored. The car is a track only 205 with a gti-6 engine and brakes.

Is this a common problem in general or with 1155's? is it dangerous to carry on using them?

Also while i'm here can anyone recommend a brand of driveshafts for track use? recently they're only lasting a couple of days (inner cv joints going). The one in currently has done one day but the boot clip has popped off already, could this be indicating a fault elsewhere? The engine doesn't seem to move to much, could it just be the sticky tyres (ao48's) overwhelming them?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

philfingers

try Carbon Lorraine pads or Pagid RS4-2. Neither cheap but good quality. When i got my 205 (tarmac rally car) I pulled the calipers off to inspect the pads the 1144 friction material either dropped off or just disintegrated!

Are you running wide track, ie 309 or custom lower arms. This may have somethign to do with it

Team BDR

i'm a bit hesitant about spending £100+ on pads again if they're going to fall apart. There's plenty of meat left on the 1155's so its a shame to chuck em :)

yea, we've had nothing but trouble using the 309 arms (wasted 2 trackdays and had ~6 driveshafts). We sold the standard arms on though..

Have you had trouble yourself with the 309 arms?

Edited by Team BDR

Team BDR

I've also just read somewhere that top mounts and bearings can cause trouble with the shafts but we've renewed them. Will using solid top mounts help or hinder?

davev

just to confirm as it wil be asked. are you using 309 drive shafts with the 309 arms?

Cloverleaf

Have you got a picture of the pads?

philfingers

essentially you have a 309 setup (albeit the top mount are slightly inward) and you'd need to run 309 shafts otherwise you could have driveshaft issues.

you may have spent a lot on the pads but if they're cracking then that can't be good. You could try mentioning it to the pad supplier and see what their take is on it

welshpug

blue discs sounds like serious excessive heat, did you bed them in?

Team BDR

Yea we have the 309 shafts :huh:

I think we tried to bed them in around the paddock and on the sighting laps but there's only so much we could do. They've done 5-6 other trackdays and seemed fine and as I say theres loads of meat left. I'll try to get a picture when I can. Could it be cheap discs? Are the drilled and grooved any help?

welshpug

sounds simply like you haven't bedded them in enough and have been cooked, cheap discs are often the best to use!

Team BDR

How should they be bedded in then and is the process the same for all performance pads?

HERMAN

Race pads should only take a couple of laps to bed in. Is the problem on both sides? If not you could have a sticking caliper.

Team BDR

Yea both sides. The cracks divide the pad roughly into third's. It's probably fairer to describe the car as race use as we usually get 5 hours tracktime out of a day (3 drivers sharing). It might be worth pointing out the pedal doesn't seem to fade so can heat be the issue?

Anyone tried ebc blues or recommend some endurance type pads?

Batfink

Manufacturers have instructions for bedding in their pads. Even EBC..

kyepan

i have seen what look like cracks on various pads many times, but they were only every on the surface, and usually when the pads were due for replacement.

are you sure these are not just surface imperfections in the material, pockets fissures or air gaps.

although i can understand why you would err on the side of caution.