• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MrG

Abs Or Pas

MrG

We're looking at late GTI's, I have a PAS set up at home that I'll fit to a car if I can but what would your preference be if two cars came along. One has ABS but no PAS the other PAS but no ABS.

It'll be used for town work so PAS will be very beneficial however for safety's sake ABS will be a bonus, so do you buy the ABS equipped car and retrofit the PAS, or buy the PAS car and leave it as it stands?

I have a sorrento green 205 that I was going to fit the PAS to, but a few options have appeared over the past few days that have raised these questions.

I know the 205 is best without the added options such as this but as my wife will be primarily driving it, the PAS will be helpful! And if ABS equiped it will instill a bit of piece of mind.

Thanks

Tom Fenton

Old fashioned ABS systems are questionable in how effective they really are. I personally wouldn't be bothered about it, especially bearing in mind you will struggle to find anyone who knows anything about it, and struggle to get any bits, if it goes wrong.

Anthony

If you're talking 205 ABS, the chances are it won't work properly, and even when it does it's quite primative. If I had to pick out of the two then I'd have PAS and make sure that the car has decent tyres on it.

That said, it's much easier to retro-fit PAS to a 205 than it is to fit ABS (although even ABS isn't *that* hard to do)

I know someone with the majority of a 205 ABS setup that he wouldn't want much money for if it's of any interest - certainly he's got the loom, ECU, ABS module/pump, rear compensators, and possibly a few other parts. Just needs the ABS hubs, driveshafts and sensors I think.

denva2682

As already noted, the ABS will probably be a bit dodgy anyway.

I don't personally get on with the PAS on GTI's, but if, as you say your wife will be the main driver, I'd go with PAS as my priority. Yes, it's nowhere near modern PAS, but I'm sure it will be easier to park etc. My wife struggles with mine without PAS so I'd definately go PAS, despite it being nothing like as assisted as modern systems.

Tommer

I have PAS on my new (to me) 205 gti, I will be removing it very soon, as I don't much like it!

Toddy

You may be able to retrofit 306 GTI6 ABS, iirc Miles has mentioned this

MrG

cheers all, PAS I can do I think on my own, I'd rather not do the ABS though.

It's just the idea of having these bits is quite appealing to me for some reason! But I think regardless, it'll need PAS to make things easier, I don't think my wife would be too keen to have forearms like Popeye!

apinski

Buy the PAS car and leave it as it stands, but definitely show your wife how to drive without ABS :lol:

one-lady-owner

Definitely stiuck to just PAS, given that I've had several french cars with PAS an nothing of any real consequence has ever gone wrong, but the first french car I buy with ABS, and every so often it'll almost take all my braking power away on good roads as one or more of the sensors are faulty, it's a PITA, and sensors are hideously expensive!

MrG

magic cheers all, a PAS car it will be I think.

lemmingzappa

I can't stand PAS so I would have to choose the ABS. Although I have no experience using stock 205 ABS.

monkee87

I've got ABS on my GTi. Utter waste IMO. It comes in very late and you can still skid... The brakes on a GTi are great, so i don't know why they added ABS.

If it goes wrong, you'll struggle to find parts for it too. I think i've been told it's about 25-30 GTi's ever came with ABS or something stupid like that. Mine doesn't work properly now and will be coming out very soon.. I want to be able to pass an MOT with no problems.

I do think PAS on a GTi is great. You don't really notice it when you're driving, it's only really beneficial for when you park. :) Slightly smaller turning circle that usual too.

Henry Yorke

PAS for wife driving otherwise she will curse you forever. ABS is a potential MOT moneypit. However I too would like it just as it is a quirky option, so I would probably buy the ABS and then retrofit the PAS so you have both! Then have the wife curse as the car is off the road because of the ABS faults!

shalmaneser
You may be able to retrofit 306 GTI6 ABS, iirc Miles has mentioned this

But then you have the 306 hub/camber issue already much discussed.

I'm not that much of a fan of ABS at the best of times anyway, and as others have said the 205 system is s*itty anyway - only works on the front wheels I believe.

go for the PAS.

MrG

hmm food for thought this.

There are compensators on the rear fitted either side on the rear beam to maintain some sort of effect on the rear brakes I think but no sensors as such.

Anthony
There are compensators on the rear fitted either side on the rear beam to maintain some sort of effect on the rear brakes I think but no sensors as such.

Correct - 205 ABS models use load-biasing compensators on the rear attached to the trailing arms, similar to those used on 306 and 405 ABS models (but one per side on a 205, rather than a single combined unit on 306/405's). There are no rear wheel sensors at all, and the 2-channel ABS only operates on the front brakes.

MrG

good stuff, cheers Anthony. I broke a PAS/ABS car due to many things and saw the parts first hand (although all dismantled). Reason I bought the car originally was due to the PAS/ABS but it was in so many parts it was beyond me. But now I fancy a complete car, 'working' as well!