• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scotty

Time To Replace The Rear Beam

scotty

Went up to a friends and when i got out the car i noticed the driver side was sitting a bit low so looked at the passenger side and could see a big difference (see photos) got my friend to have a look and when we jacked it up you could feel a lot of play had a look at the other side and there is only slight play, it's lucky i have another car for parts as i have a feeling this beam will be in a bad way, i paid for a set of rear barrings last night from another forum member and they will be here tomorrow then just have to find time to get the beam off the other car and get my friend to rebuild it.

The beam that is on the car was replaced about 9 years ago not long after i got the car so it's lasted well.

Driver side

DSCF6138-web.jpg

Passenger side

DSCF6140-web.jpg

omega
The beam that is on the car was replaced about 9 years ago not long after i got the car so it's lasted well.

so 9 years is good for a beam how many miles is that then?

welshpug

sounds more like 9 years since an unknown but seemingly good replacement was fitted rather than a rebuilt one.

scotty
so 9 years is good for a beam how many miles is that then?

Not sure on mileage never kept a record of what i did.

sounds more like 9 years since an unknown but seemingly good replacement was fitted rather than a rebuilt one.

I did not say it was rebuilt last time it was just a replacement and lowered at the same time.

GLPoomobile

On the plus side, think of how much manky teenage flange you'll be able to pick up at Maccie D's with that stance! :)

scotty

Im getting a bit old for manky teenage flange me thinks :)

d7ve_b

Is there an age limit...? :)

welshpug

didn't do too bad at all there at 9 years!

Many 306's I know of that have been lowered unscrupulously in the past haven't lasted more than a year or two and they're the same design though with stiffer bars and a heavier vehicle.

I certainly wouldn't hold much hope of being able to just fit some bearings there, at the very least you'd need new arm shafts from the same forum member if he has any left, worst case you'd need a donor crossmember.

Is there an age limit...? :)

yeah 19, they're not teenagers after that :lol:

:)

Edited by welshpug

scotty

I have a J reg that i am removing the beam from for the rebuild as i think the one on my car now will be in a bad way as there is a lot of play in the driver side so i have a feeling the tube will be badly damaged.