• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest tom-hunt

205 D Upgrade

Guest tom-hunt

hi

i have recently got a 205 1.8d as a cheap run about. at some time someone has added gti intirier an 1.9 alloys and body trim . it is on a N reg so one of the last to be sold in the uk and the body is in good condition with only some very minor serface rust which iam going to sort out.

i had a gti years ago and loved the gokart like handleing and i want to get that from my 205 by upgrading the suspension.

just a couple of quick questions other than the 1.9 having rear discs are there any other differences in the 1.6 and 1.9 suspension . and am i right in thinking that it was the same in the 309gti ? i just dont want to get a rear beam from 1 car an front shocks from another an end up with it pointing to the sky or looking at the ground.

this is the 1st of a couple of upgrades iam planing the next being to add an engine from a 306/406 turbo d ive read thay can quight easily be fitted an tuned to 140+ bhp . i know this isent the right place for engene advice but any coments would be greatly apreciated

thankyou

jimistdt

Hello Tom, welcome to the forum. I'll answer a couple of the questions for you if I can. Regarding the 1.6/1.9 beams there is no difference other than the brakes set up. You could swap yours for either and just retain the existing brakes. The 309 beam would give you plenty of work to do on the rear arches, unless this has already been done?

Ultimately the rear beam can be set at any predetermined height you want, within reason to match the ride height of the front. This would involve pulling the beam apart to reset the torsion bars, and if you're going to do that then you might as well inspect the beam and replace any parts that might need it.

I swapped all the suspension on mine to 1.6 GTi, and me and Graham set the rear at 320mm (possibly, it was a while ago and I can't remeber fully.)

This is how it sits at the minute;

th_Image228-1.jpg

Enjoy the site mate, there lots of info on here if you look for it.

Looking forward to seeing some pics! :lol:

pug_ham
just a couple of quick questions other than the 1.9 having rear discs are there any other differences in the 1.6 and 1.9 suspension . and am i right in thinking that it was the same in the 309gti ?

205 GTI springs are the same up frobnt & the rear beams only difference is the 1.9 GTI has discs instead of drums.

The 309 GTI springs are slightly shorter / stiffer & the rear beam is 50mm wider but it does fit although on a base model you'll have arch clearance issues imo with 1.9 alloys on. The GTI does so you'll have worse like Jimi says.

Graham.

Anthony

Also worth pointing out that as you can see in Jimi's picture above, 205 GTi springs will lower a diesel model by a small amount thus making them an excellent budget lowering spring, and worked very well when I had them on my 205 STDT back in the day. 309 GTi springs will likely sit a touch higher and closer to standard.

Guest tom-hunt

thanks for the replys guys just need to find a rear beam now .

dee205

You'll find too that the front end of the GTi is slightly different to the diesel. The lower arms etc. And the GTi has drop links too that improve handlying.

I'm pretty sure if you can get hold of a GTi subframe with the bits attached it will bolt straight onto the car and hubs and also the GTi suspensions struts.

pug_ham
309 GTi springs will likely sit a touch higher and closer to standard.

They actually sit about 10mm lower, I had them on my STDT swapping from 205 GTI springs & they dropped it about another 10mm.

dscf2948zi1.th.jpg

Graham.

muddatrucker

The brakes on my STDT are pitted, was wondering what replacements I needed.

pug_ham
The brakes on my STDT are pitted, was wondering what replacements I needed.

If its still the same as standard you should need 1.9 GTI discs & Bendix pads.

Graham.