• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
muddatrucker

Removing Bad Smells

muddatrucker

I know this must have been covered, although I've searched many different phrases and can't find a thread on it!

I bought a car recently and the interior is badly effected with cigarette odours (no pop at the original owner - each to their own!) I've already shampoo'd it with AutoGlym interior shampoo and based upon the colour of the water (black) it did a fair bit of cleaning...the beige interior is now another shade of beige all together! Although whilst the smell isn't as blatant to myself anymore (must have gotten use to it) other people have noticed it (more so, smokers themselves).

I even left a plastic carrier bag in there last night and when I got it out this morning, I noticed that the bag smelt of it too. I also find that on long journeys my clothes absorb the odour - so that would suggest the seats still have some deep lying odours in there and another shampoo'ing is in order.

Obviously there are lots of products on the market which suggest they can resolve this - but I'm cynical of what works and what doesn't, I've also read about baking soda in the carpets - then hoover, a jar of open coffee left over night and a couple open top containers of white vinegar. Are they are sure fire ways to reduce this? I don't want new car smell, I'd just like the Magic Tree to be the source of the smell in my car.

Cheers guys.

Atari Boy

You want one of THESE. Super hardcore and work well. Leave 'on' overnight and close all vents etc before hand.

Edited by Atari Boy

muddatrucker

Looks good to me, zero effort too! I'll give the interior another shampooing and get one of these, thanks.

Last Legend

You need to clean the headlining! and I would also suggest tacking the seats out and giving them and the carpets which you will now have full access to a wet vac,beg steal borrow one.

Keep leaving a pie tin of (open) baking soda in the car overnight untill the smell goes.

You do not want to be using products to mask the bad smell you need to remove the bad smell first.

Have you cleaned the ash tray?I'd even try to get one thats never been used from a basic model from a scrappy.

Tom Fenton

A bit extreme, but I bought/sold a van a few months ago that was absolutely disgusting inside.

I took the seats out and jetwashed the buggers, left them in the sun to dry out for a few days, it was suprising how quickly they did actually dry out.

They were horrible before but actually came up pretty well.

Henry Yorke

Go to Homebase and hire one of their Rug Doctor carpet vacs. They have an attachment for upholstory. It is best to whip the seats too so you can get under the carpet. My skip had its carpet out, hung on a line and jetwashed.

flipperthebushkangaroo
Keep leaving a pie tin of (open) baking soda in the car overnight untill the smell goes.

Does it matter what flavour the pie is? We only have Fray Bentos Steak and kidney in the cupboard at the moment. :blush:

large

I use THIS just pour onto the carpets Takes a bit of time to work (2 weeks) and you will no longer smell the stench of cigarettes.