• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul_13

Driveshaft/ Gearbox Problem

Paul_13

Car passed it MOT today (yay!), but some annoying problems have arrived...

Drove it to mot centre, all normal...

Get home and driveshaft seal has let go... Changed them for new ones but still leaking. I think I pushed it in too far.

And the other problem is the OS driveshaft is really compressed, whenever I go round a left hand bend the driveshaft squashes up and causes the most horrific knocking noise/sensation.

I shoved the engine over and moved the gearbox mount over, ok for a couple of miles and it's still the same. I've tightened the 11mm nuts on the bottom engine mount...

Any ideas?

Was thinking of changing to a 205 shaft and see what happens.

dcc

dont they have 2 different tapered edges where they sit on the hub bearing?

Paul_13

Unsure on that..

It's wierd it wasn't doing before I put the box on. Thinking back though, it was making some strange noise but I thought it was the box.

It's almost undriveable

Anthony

Swap the diff for a 205/309 (or other early BE) item, and then run standard 205/309 driveshafts again?

Paul_13

Don't have another box that is the problem...

Do I need to leave one of the seals petruding slightly?

Anthony

The seals should protrude slightly from the diff housing, yes - about 2-3mm or so if normally what I do, and I've not had any problems with leakage

Paul_13
The seals should protrude slightly from the diff housing, yes - about 2-3mm or so if normally what I do, and I've not had any problems with leakage

Ok sounds about right, i've taken the 309 driveshaft out and reinstalled the seal so it protrudes about 3-4mm. It looked like the spring on inside of seal was slipping down the chamfered bit.

I'll see how this goes when Mikey answers the phone and wakes the f*ck up so I can get my 205 driveshaft!

Paul_13

Right changed the seals and sorted the leak, change the driveshaft to a 205 driveshaft solved the other problem.

Going along A4 changed from 5th to 4th to speed up not even going fast and the gearbox went.

It would go into gear but would not put power down, the engine revved freely. Then loads of gearbox oil everywhere once I had parked up.

AAAARRRGH!

EdCherry

5th gear nut come off and damaged the end casing?

Paul_13

I've done a bit of searching but it's not providing any answers, can any she dlight on these?

Are the gears any use on a HDI box?

And is the casing any stronger than a Xsara box?

Whats the best box to go for? 205 gti style box 1.6 w/ 1.9 FD?

And the common faults for the Xsara box, I know about the weak diffs and gearing is a Be4?!

Cheers

Miles

All the box;s are the same strength, A bit mith that Derv one's are stronger etc, The only differance is the case's vary over the year's and the GTi type's have 2 extra bolt holes to bolt onto the engine.

The later BE4 box's are weaker than the BE3's too, Due to the cut of the gear's

Paul_13

This was a real strange problem I had with this.

The long 205 shaft (os) I had inplace worked, but the intermediate shaft had pulled out from the bearing and the driveshaft pulled out the box; hence all the gearbox oil and no drive.

I took the shaft out and tacked the bearing collar onto the shaft with the welder. Swapped the 309 shaft back and put it all back together job sorted :lol:

Only think is 2nd is a c*nt to get into sometimes, o well can't have everything you want.

Paul_13

Oops

Edited by Paul_13