• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
McDude

Speedo Cable Replaced

McDude

For no reason I've been putting off changing the speedo cable; anyway I finally got round to it today. It is a totally easy task and can't have taken an hour to do, but now I have a wobble free speedo.

Massively satisfying and thoroughly recomended if your Pug is wobbling. When I look at the speedo now it is like it is broken because the needle isn't waving away at me.

I did wonder if there would be merit in wrapping some heat sheild tape around the gearbox end of the cable.

alphacharlie

Glad its easy, its on the list of many jobs to do when I get the time!!

Masekwm

Its on my list to, how do you get it behind the dash though? That's why I've never bothered.

lemmingzappa
Its on my list to, how do you get it behind the dash though? That's why I've never bothered.

You have to take the clocks out and push it through the hole in the bulkhead.

CosKev

Need to do mine too <_<

Did you buy gen or aftermarket cable??????? ;)

Masekwm

So with the clocks off it's obvious? I've always imagined it to be a bastard of a job

miamichris
So with the clocks off it's obvious? I've always imagined it to be a bastard of a job

Yeah it just clips into the back of the clocks, changing it is on my list of jobs to do aswell but i've had to fix it one time because the cable fell off the back of my clocks.

quagmire

Enjoy it cause they don't stay wobble free for long!

McDude

Don't say that, it's upsetting. That is why I thought about a bit of heat shield around the cable, to stop it getting baked by the manifold.

CosKev - I used a genuine pug part. About £27 all in from the dealer.

CosKev
Don't say that, it's upsetting. That is why I thought about a bit of heat shield around the cable, to stop it getting baked by the manifold.

CosKev - I used a genuine pug part. About £27 all in from the dealer.

Cheers :wub:

stufarri

£15 plus VAT from ECP though.

Would this cure the speedo rattle does anyone know or is it the clocks causing this? Anyone suffering from same problem?

lemmingzappa
Would this cure the speedo rattle does anyone know or is it the clocks causing this? Anyone suffering from same problem?

It happens because the ends of the cable are square shaped, and they fit into a slot. When any of the corners round off it almost skips to the next corner as it's spinning. So the speedo is only registering the corners which are still ok.

stufarri

But my speedo and rev counter don't bounce as I thought they might if the above were the case.

It just makes a really annoying tinny rattle.

I'm confused :(

shalmaneser

Hmmm I'd always assumed it was an arsehole of a job, might give it a go now.

£15 from ECP you say...

Simes

+1

joe1joe

and me! it wont stay woble free for long.... duno why but mine lasted about a month of every day driving to go again. prob worst now!

Anthony

Yep, the brand new (pattern) cable on mine lasted about a week before it started wobbling again, and a couple of months later it's worse than it's ever been - I was not amused, especially after making sure that I took the time to route it all properly, well away from the heat from the exhaust etc :D

McDude
Yep, the brand new (pattern) cable on mine lasted about a week before it started wobbling again, and a couple of months later it's worse than it's ever been - I was not amused, especially after making sure that I took the time to route it all properly, well away from the heat from the exhaust etc :mellow:

I'm hoping my OE part fares better. I've wrapped it in heat reflective tape so all I can do is cross fingers and hope it survives.

DaveW

OE one should be fine its nice to have a normal non bouncey speedo, yeah the tape should help it.

joe1joe

not sure if heat is the problem, as i have a 106 gti engine which means the exhaust is no where near..

mhyphenl
not sure if heat is the problem, as i have a 106 gti engine which means the exhaust is no where near..

There must be a problem in the final drive unit to make a new cable go how its taken years for the original to go. the plastic cog in the housing must also be worn!