• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shalmaneser

Turn In A Bit Vague

shalmaneser

I've come to the conclusion that the turn in on my 205 isn't quite as positive as I'd like it to be. While a million times better than most other cars I've driven the first bit of cornering doesn't give much feedback and you just have to trust the car to grip and go; to be fair it does that but it's not as confidence inspiring as I'd like.

I'm running Eibach springs with GAZ adjustable dampers front and rear with a 309 rear beam and wishbones.

Everything is new or uprated when it comes to the suspension - rebuilt rear beam, polybushed wishbones, new ARB links, new hub bearings etc. I've heard several people say that the Eibach springs are a little too soft on the initial part of their travel which I guess could be a cause of the vagueness I'm experiencing.

Obviously I'd like to keep things cheap, so I plan to have a fiddle with the damping first. The car is very well controlled over bumps so its a question of +/- a little from the existing settings - any advice for this? the shocks are only rebound adjustable, would a little more rebound tighten things up? should I be looking to adjust front or rear?

Second option is to get a thicker rear ARB. I bought some seats of 2052006 a month or so ago and he reckoned that the bigger ARB made a big difference, having driven his car I'd have to say both our cars are very similar as they are now, but a bigger ARB can't hurt can it? Obviously its more expensive than tweaking the damping so it's a bit of a last resort. I'd be going 23mm 'd have thought, is this too much?

Either way, feedback appreciated!

Cameron

Have you checked your toe settings recently? Toe in will numb turn-in whatever the rest of your set-up is, especially if you have excessive amounts.

A thicker rear ARB shouldn't really be used just to alter turn-in, as it's impact is more to do with the handling. It's an expensive part so I'd only really go for one if you think you're getting too much understeer as well. If you think the handling balance is fine as it is then a thicker ARB will make the car oversteer which you may not like.

Edited by Cameron

shalmaneser
Have you checked your toe settings recently? Toe in will numb turn-in whatever the rest of your set-up is, especially if you have excessive amounts.

A thicker rear ARB shouldn't really be used just to alter turn-in, as it's impact is more to do with the handling. It's an expensive part so I'd only really go for one if you think you're getting too much understeer as well. If you think the handling balance is fine as it is then a thicker ARB will make the car oversteer which you may not like.

Had the tracking done fairly recently although i thought it was a bit of a bodge, it's certainly a bit out now which is probably worth looking at. Place near my parents does laser tracking for a tenner, might get that done soonish.

What are the options for toe in settings?

Rippthrough

What are the dampers set at?

shalmaneser
What are the dampers set at?

No numbers I'm afraid, base spec Gaz dampers don't have any settings as such.

Rippthrough
No numbers I'm afraid, base spec Gaz dampers don't have any settings as such.

How many clicks from closed/open?

I've got the same units on my 306.