• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SPGTi

Installing Usb Ports

SPGTi

Anyone hard wired USB ports into the car ? If yes any pointers ?

Steve

lemmingzappa
Anyone hard wired USB ports into the car ? If yes any pointers ?

Steve

Do you mean for charging, or is this for some sort of audio/micro atx device ?

They need to supply around 5 volts.

Edited by lemmingzappa

SPGTi

I want to install usb ports for mainly running satnav, charging mobiles, reversing camera (this is in a pick up truck not the 205) etc. I would like them discreet and have them positioned in such a way that cables are not running everwhere looking a mess. I was going to butcher one of those cigarette lighter adaptors to use for the step don from 12 to 5v. I hate having wires coming out of the cigarette lighter points as when you need to power multiple things it looks such a mess. I was wondering if anyone had done this or if there were kits available.

Steve

gavbrum

How old is your stereo? Mine has a rear USB port which can be used to charge other devices. Also have it wired so that my iphone charger comes out of the centre console coin tray. Perfect as the phone holder is just above it. Would be perfect for sat nav too. Could be a good excuse to upgrade your stereo.

lemmingzappa
reversing camera (this is in a pick up truck not the 205)

Do you mean to power the reversing camera ? Can you not just wire into a 12v ?

Because if you're trying to wire up your own circuit to tap into and record that will require alot of work unless it comes as a kit.

engine killer

I have done a similar thing before.

T-joint the wires from cigarette lighter, route them to the glove box and connect to a female cigarette lighter plug.

Connect one of those "cigarette lighter > 5v USB" adaptor, route the adaptor usb side to the dashtop and secure it.

Job done but do not forget to place a fuse there.

SPGTi
Do you mean to power the reversing camera ? Can you not just wire into a 12v ?

Because if you're trying to wire up your own circuit to tap into and record that will require alot of work unless it comes as a kit.

The reversing camera is wireless and the receiver requires a 5v supply with the input being a mini USB, I suppose it is designed to work in between a stand alone sat nav.

It looks like I will wire in another cig lighter, plug into that and then use a USb hub plugged into that, like engine killer has done (I think). Still think there could be a market for a USB kit to wire direct to the 12v supply.

Steve