• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
muddatrucker

Scratch Repair

muddatrucker

Disclaimer: I've done a search, could only find advice on painting whole panels, but I'm sure its there somewhere, just can't find it!

I have a pretty long scratch going across my bonnet, its gone through the paint but doesn't appear to feel like much of a gouge. I've ordered some colour matched paint in a rattle can to do a repair, either way I figure no matter what I do, its going to look less blatant than a silver scratch, just wanted advice on how to make the most effective repair - do I tape the section up and spray, or do I avoid that in an attempt to make it blend better?

I figure I'll need to primer first and lacquer it afterwards but is this essential for a key-width scratch?

I'm apprehensive about sanding it, since I figure that opens up the potential to make it look worse and with it being so narrow, would sanding be necessary? I've done repairs with touch up kits before, but I figure with this one being a bit more blatant and visible (what with it being on the boot) a bit of consideration is necessary.

Cheers guys!

flyfisher

any paint repair you do on a bonnet with a can will not look great. silver being the worst colour of the lot, the only way to make it look good is to have it painted properly. depending on how big scratch is its probably best to touch in with a fine brush, if you use a can you will have overspray problems and it will only look worst. haveing been a painter for 30 years my advice is touch in with fine brush, save yer pennys and get it painted properly

MerlinGTI

Touch ups rarely look better than the scratch did.

Even though its gone through, I would first focus my attentions on knocking the scratch back wih some 1000grit and mopping it. Even bad scratch's can have their appearence seriously reduced by doing this.

If this doesnt rectify it to your satisfaction then:

Get a puckka thin paint brush, kinda like a kiddies water colour jobbie, but ermm propper :)

Clean and degrease the scratch with panel wipe or simular.

Spray some of that matched rattle can into the lid, use your brush to apply to the scratch. Thin coats (2 or 3) untill the 'gully' of the scratch is filled.

1000 grit the now filled scratch to knockback any high spots of paint you just applied

mop

Dont expect miracles though mate :) Ive never seen a 'good' touch up sadly :(

muddatrucker

A full re-spray isn't feasible unfortunately, I can live with the scratch - a rattle can repair is just to make it not look so blatant - I just wanted to do the best job I could with the tools I had.

I'll buy a brush, spray the paint into the cap and try fine brushing it instead. Thanks.

Jrod

I've just done a touch up on my Fiesta ready to sell it. You can still see it but its ALOT less obvious.

Before:

2vsrzgw.jpg

After:

2n0j6ko.jpg

I use a touch up pen and in small layers build the scratch up until its proud of the rest of the paint.

Using rubbing compound and water works the scratch until the pain sits flush.

Use a finer compound or something as basic as T cut to give the paint a better finish again.

Polish.

dee205

Metallic colours are a bastard to match. I've tried a few small bits on my graphite grey but to no avail. I can get a real good finish but the nature of metallic paint makes it hard to match. They way most proper painters do it using 2k or the likes is to use thinner mixes and build up to the same level of metallic flake and colour as the panels near by. Using a rattle can doesn't give you limited option to do this. Don't get me wrong, I've used rattle cans to do bits and pieces under the bonnet and small areas.

If you have a flat colour then it's not as bad but doing such a large area will still be hard to get right with the spray pattern and consistancy of a can.

Damien

RallyGentry

I'm a painter and have people coming to me all the time to rectify d.i.y repairs to paintwork,as has been said use a fine brush,rattle cans are a waste of time when trying to do isolated repairs.

Airbrushing is an option sometimes though,i've managed to flat out scratches and blend paint in,the latest scratch resistant laquers are excellent for doing small repairs as it's a lot easier to 'blow in' and buff up :)

muddatrucker

Thanks guys, like I said it doesn't have to be perfect, I'm guessing a green line on a green bonnet is always going to look less obvious than a silver line on a green bonnet.

Assuming the paint arrives today I'll go get some 1000grit, a brush and give it a go, I'll take some pictures of the results.