• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dee205

Difference In Lower Steering Column

dee205

I've taken the pas out of a 95 diesel 205 along with the lower steering column to match. It's the splined type. Fitting all to my non pas 91 GTi which had the slotted typre lower column and rack. The splined version is slightly shorter though especially the bit after the joint which has made a more than tight fit to my existing top part of the steering. Had to hattle to get the rack bolted in place and the steering is now very tight due to the shortness.

Should I have taking the whole steering column for transplant including the longer top half. If so how the hell do you remove the top section

Cheers in advance

Damien

ade 4wd

The upper steering column (the steering wheel bolts to it) is the same for PAS or non PAS. Only the lower steering column(bolts to steering rack) is different between PAS and non PAS.

welshpug

did you tighten the column pinch bolts before bolting the rack firmly to the subframe?

I would try slackening them off just in case there's too much tension there, give the lower column a few taps to make sure its settled then tighten the bolts back up :)

dee205
did you tighten the column pinch bolts before bolting the rack firmly to the subframe?

I would try slackening them off just in case there's too much tension there, give the lower column a few taps to make sure its settled then tighten the bolts back up :)

Cheers. :D

Slackened top and bottom pinch bolts and gave the steering a few turns. Came right so I tightened them back and all is well. Now just to fit the new track rod ends.