• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dino20vt

What Pads To Use In A 205 Mi16 With Gti6 Calipers

dino20vt

Done a search but would like to see what the current opions on various manufacturers out there as things may have moved on since I last bought pads for any of my cars.

So what I'm asking is what to get and where from.

Cheers

matthewm

All depends on what the car is to be used for and your budget, is it for road use or track/rallying?

boldy205

Havent had much experiance with uprated pads, but i have found EBC Yellow stuff to be ok from cold and v good on track. Thats with a GTI6 205 on 266s.

dino20vt
All depends on what the car is to be used for and your budget, is it for road use or track/rallying?

They'll be used on a road car, not sure about budget yet as havent a clue on prices.

Craigb
They'll be used on a road car, not sure about budget yet as havent a clue on prices.

i have some used DS2500's that i'll sell for £50 (10 mm ) , might be a bit much for just road use though

Jrod

For just road use with gti-6 brakes standard pads will be more than up to the job IMO.

dino20vt

Just got a quote from the dealers for genuine pads at £65 inc vat and trade discount, do the likes of ECP and GSF sell genuine pads?

Anthony
Just got a quote from the dealers for genuine pads at £65 inc vat and trade discount, do the likes of ECP and GSF sell genuine pads?

Not usually, no, but they should do Ferodo Premier's which are very good for standardish pads in my experience, and even seem to survive light trackday use just fine (and that's on standard 1.9 brakes, so they should fair even better on GTi-6 brakes)

From experience though, I'd suggest avoiding Textar pads for GTi-6 brakes that GSF sell - I managed to get cronic fade and smoke coming off them going *up* a mountain road after fitting some last minute before a Euro trip a few years back, and needless to say were binned shortly after coming back!

welshpug

Neat auto's often have o.e pads, as does a few sellers on ebay, look for ones in citroen boxes.

GSF don't do genuine boxed pads, but they do most brands that supply the manufacturers like Bendix lucas textar etc.

strange that experience you had of textar in gti6 calipers, have had no issue with the 1.9 versions, I must be kinder to my brakes :lol:

Edited by welshpug

Anthony
strange that experience you had of textar in gti6 calipers, have had no issue with the 1.9 versions, I must be kinder to my brakes :lol:

Ask anyone that was on the PSOOC 205 20th Anniversary Tour in 2004, and they'll remember the smell of my brakes filling the air each day whenever we ventured anywhere near the Grand Ballon (sp?) mountain road run - I remember atleast two people commenting that they knew I was up ahead somewhere as they could smell cooked brakes :lol:

Maybe it was a bad batch, I don't know, but they were horrific frankly and far worse than anything I've used since (with the possibly exception of some Halfords own-brand pads that were on a 205 I bought).

welshpug

ever tried APEC?

:lol:

welshpug

same caliper throughout :lol:

the picture IMO is not of a lucas/girling pattern pad though, looks more like a late Bosch type.

also the part number is wrong for a gti6, the part number is for the 266mm S16 and 8 valve XSi, which looks different again to the image :lol:

they are a main dealer selling off stock though, I'd give them a call before buying.

dino20vt

So 425143 is the correct part number for gti6 pads?

C_W

EBC Yellowstuff pads are very good IMO, and very cheap too. I bought my last set for about £40 from larkspeed (always listed under 309gti which is same caliper). No dust either. I would avoid DS2500 pads.

Anthony
I would avoid DS2500 pads.

Is that just for GTi-6 calipers, as I've always found DS2500's to be excellent for 1.9 calipers?

NeilGTi85

I have DS2500 in my 205 GTi6, not been on track but they seem easily good enough for road. No overheating or fade yet?!

I'm also running bog standard disc's from GSF (£20), the pads cost me £45.

Paul_13

Steer clear of EBC greenstuff, Mintex are pretty good. I haven't got any complaints :rolleyes: Except for a squeal

pug_ham
From experience though, I'd suggest avoiding Textar pads for GTi-6 brakes that GSF sell - I managed to get cronic fade and smoke coming off them going *up* a mountain road after fitting some last minute before a Euro trip a few years back, and needless to say were binned shortly after coming back!
strange that experience you had of textar in gti6 calipers, have had no issue with the 1.9 versions, I must be kinder to my brakes :rolleyes:

I ran Textar pads from GSF on my old n/a diesel & also found them to be the worst pads I'd used, over heated very easily & glazed over making stopping for the rest of the drive home rather interesting.

Swapped them for some older Bendix pads so things were back to normal & never over heated the Bendix even on solid discs!!

Mintex work well but I found them to be very dusty & they have a tendency to squeal like Paul says, I have Tarox on mine atm (standard sized discs with 1.9 calipers) & the rear wheels were dustier than the fronts after a recent trip to the Ring.

Craig, I could be interested in the DS2500's.

Graham.

welshpug
So 425143 is the correct part number for gti6 pads?

yes.

hothatch
Not usually, no, but they should do Ferodo Premier's which are very good for standardish pads in my experience, and even seem to survive light trackday use just fine (and that's on standard 1.9 brakes, so they should fair even better on GTi-6 brakes)

Pherhaps if you Bedded them in anth ! Lol

Mintex standard pads are fine !!!!

Edited by hothatch

richsmells

I have Mintex 1155s all round in the 306, which Miles fitted when he owned it. Still have loads of life left months on with daily usage on the road. A bit squealy when they're cold, but bloody good when warm. Possibly overkill on a 205 as it's a lighter car.

Edited by richsmells

dino20vt
i have some used DS2500's that i'll sell for £50 (10 mm ) , might be a bit much for just road use though

Thanks for the offer mate, I'll give you a shout if I need them. Obviously if you sell them in the mean time - no worries

Anthony
Pherhaps if you Bedded them in anth ! Lol

I'm quite well aware of how to bed brake pads in thanks :)

Unfortunately, the best bedding-in isn't going to solve the issue if the friction material is frankly hopeless, is it? Other branded OE-replacement pads such as Ferodo and Bendix have been fine and never given me any issues over the years on various cars.

Rippthrough

I had some Textar pads back when I had the Bendix front calipers, fine pottering around, but - if you had the car loaded up with 5 people - then downhill stopping was a case of both feet on the brake pedal and some flames!