• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stuart1298

1.6 Gti And 1.9 Gti Differences

stuart1298

i am looking at a set up of front shocks, with springs, i have a j plate 1.6gti, and this set up has came off a 1.9 gti and i going to have any trouble fitting this, also with brake callipers is there any difference as i'm looking at bigger brakes will i have trouble with fitting them, hubs yokes callipers etc, dont wanna buy a bigger set up then find i need to replace a s*it load more, if that happens i would rather get down a breakers yard n fet the whole front set up

Cheers Stu

Daviewonder

Shocks and springs will fit straight on, I'm not sure about the brakes though ;)

hothatch

What he said !

And you can fit 1900 calipers to your 1600 hub carriers but will have to use the 1600 discs because of the offset. Any bigger like gti6 calipers you need 1900 hub carriers.

Ben

stuart1298

Cheers

so to fit bigger brakes i would need the 1.9 hub carriers, hubs and bearings?

Stu

welshpug

and 1.9 driveshafts.

OR base model hubs and retain the 1.6 shafts

stuart1298

Sounds about right, jus put 2 brand new drive shafts in, in the last couple of months, so if i got hubs and hub carriers off a smaller enginged car i can put bigger brakes on? sounds strange to me, but then again, it is french...

Stu

welshpug

yes, its because the offset of base model hubs are the same as a 1.9.

afaik 1.6 had a 10mm taller hub to fit the 247mm brakes under the 14" wheels ;)

stuart1298

so i need the hubs, carriers and bearings then?

then i should be sorted?

welshpug

yeah, they'd normally come as one unit though ;)

stuart1298

from what i find out using the pagid system, the brake disks are the same on a 1.9 and a 1.6, so in theory the offset should be the same?

stuart1298

this is all a pain, ah well, i'll get hunting round the breakers in the next few weeks then, cheers mate

alync406
from what i find out using the pagid system, the brake disks are the same on a 1.9 and a 1.6, so in theory the offset should be the same?

The discs are the same size 247mm but the offset is different.

pug_ham

They must know something Peugeot don't then because there are different discs, calipers & pad fitted to the 1.6 & 1.9 GTI, nothing can be swapped between the two as standard.

Graham.

Adrian247
They must know something Peugeot don't then because there are different discs, calipers & pad fitted to the 1.6 & 1.9 GTI, nothing can be swapped between the two as standard.

Graham.

I thought you could fit the 1.9 calipers to the 1.6 whilst retaining the 1.6 discs, without problems?

pug_ham
I thought you could fit the 1.9 calipers to the 1.6 whilst retaining the 1.6 discs, without problems?

You can & they do fit straight on with no problem.

I worded my previous reply wrongly, the calipers & pads are the only parts you can swap between the two but not seperately.

Graham.

Adrian247
You can & they do fit straight on with no problem.

I worded my previous reply wrongly, the calipers & pads are the only parts you can swap between the two but not seperately.

Graham.

Thanks for clarifying that, had me worried for a min as I have just bought some 1.9 calipers to go on my 1.6 road rally car as I am fed up with the crap bleed nipples on the bendix calipers.