• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
helmet421

Rear Compensators An Master Questions

helmet421

hey everyone wqas after some advise io have a 1.6 gti that is running 1.9 running gear including rear beam an the rear brakes are por too say the least i also have gti6 brakes on front. now i realsie i need too run a second brake line an change the master cylinder to acomodate the rear brake set up but was wondering what master cylinder i should use as i plan on fitting a gti6 engine in the winter. also i need the rear compensators from a 1.9 but am struggling too locate new ones any suggestions. am looking forward too hearing from you an many thanks in advance rob

welshpug

you don't have to change anything at all with the brake lines to run the disc setup on the rear of a 1.6, most 1.6's run the same 20.6mm master cylinder as the 1.9, though some use a 19mm item, not that it'll make a great deal of difference.

Poor rear braking effort is VERY common with the rear disc setup however, this can be overcome most times by rebuilding the brake calipers or fitting a refurbished pair, as well as fitting a new set of discs and pads, also the angle that a 1.6 compensator sits at is fairly critical, should be at 22 degrees apparently.

over-tightening of handbrake cables will also prevent the self adjusting mechanisms in the rear caliper from working as intended.

1.9 compensator's are really easy to get hold of if you need a pair, GSF stock them for about £30 each.

helmet421
you don't have to change anything at all with the brake lines to run the disc setup on the rear of a 1.6, most 1.6's run the same 20.6mm master cylinder as the 1.9, though some use a 19mm item, not that it'll make a great deal of difference.

Poor rear braking effort is VERY common with the rear disc setup however, this can be overcome most times by rebuilding the brake calipers or fitting a refurbished pair, as well as fitting a new set of discs and pads, also the angle that a 1.6 compensator sits at is fairly critical, should be at 22 degrees apparently.

over-tightening of handbrake cables will also prevent the self adjusting mechanisms in the rear caliper from working as intended.

1.9 compensator's are really easy to get hold of if you need a pair, GSF stock them for about £30 each.

thats great thanks it has new discs an green stuff pads all round will look in too braking issue further then before pulling it apart cheers again

welshpug

apparently grenstuff pads are not particularly good according to the majority on here, though I had no issues with the one set I fitted and tested personally, I never push my brakes that hard.

rubyna

Personally i found the Greenstuff pads to suffer brake fade quite bad especially with spirited driving, better off going Ferodo DS2500 or Mintex 1144s..

Luke...

MerlinGTI

GSF do new bendix (important, cheap-o ones are rubbish apparently) master cylinders for £30 odd. They come with 4 'ports' and a blanking plug for one of those if needed.

I dont think an increase in size is reallly needed over the standard item for your setup, although I could be wrong?

Insted of sodding about with compensators, Why not run a bias valve? easier to setup than a 1.6 compensator and cheaper than 2x 1.9 jobbies. Thats what im doing :ph34r:

Rebuilding your calipers (as WP said) would be high on my list :D

helmet421

I never fitted the grennstuff pads i broke up a hillclimb/sprint car an the brakes were new alll round including recon calipers so that is all done allready :D

i was only planning on changing the master so could run the second line too the rears as thought this may cure my issue but the car i broke had a bias valve fited which i still have so would it be advisable too fit this then? if so my next question is where? for easy acess etc as my car is a fast road track car it has full tidy interior so ieally dont wanna mess it up with mountin it insid ethe car an havin messy brake lines inside either. an i will take on board the advice about the green stuff pads as i am on track at castle coombe 6th july :ph34r: many thanks for all the help guys it is appreciated

MerlinGTI

Down to personal prefence if you fit a bias valve over compensators really.

I too dont want to mess up my interior with a valve I might play with once a year, so its going in the engine bay - by the MC - off the bulkhead on a bracket. Will be a nice clean simple install if you retain the 1.6 style single rear line to :ph34r: in and out.

welshpug

if it has an interior and is already piped up as a 1.6 I'd leave it well alone bar making it all work properly :ph34r:

helmet421

well thanks very much everyone you have bein most helpful i am takin car down too a mates garage an getting it on the mot ramp an we will go from there will keep ya all updated with our findings

MerlinGTI

Hmm good point actually, Im in 'My Car' mode! :ph34r: You see Im running a new rear line at the same time =

Less cluttered pipe run and rusty compensator + More shiney twiddley bits = win (for me)

Your of course not running a new rear line, wont have to messs with the compensator angle because of this, just fit a new one = Far easier for you than my ramblings :D

In which case, I would still re-grease the rear caliper slide pins and check for free movement. Renew the fluid and have a good old bleeding sesh (cant hurt if it aint been done for a while).

Maybe stick it on a MOT roller to see if one rear wheel is worse than the other (if so its not the compensator as it does both wheels on a 1.6 as you know) and go from there.

Could be as simple as propper s*it pads! Ferodeo Premier are good OE style, M1144's have been fantastic in the front of my 1.6 (but pricier)

helmet421
Hmm good point actually, Im in 'My Car' mode! :lol: You see Im running a new rear line at the same time =

Less cluttered pipe run and rusty compensator + More shiney twiddley bits = win (for me)

Your of course not running a new rear line, wont have to messs with the compensator angle because of this, just fit a new one = Far easier for you than my ramblings :D

In which case, I would still re-grease the rear caliper slide pins and check for free movement. Renew the fluid and have a good old bleeding sesh (cant hurt if it aint been done for a while).

Maybe stick it on a MOT roller to see if one rear wheel is worse than the other (if so its not the compensator as it does both wheels on a 1.6 as you know) and go from there.

Could be as simple as propper s*it pads! Ferodeo Premier are good OE style, M1144's have been fantastic in the front of my 1.6 (but pricier)

thanks very much fella an as for new fluid it recentlky had all fluid etc when i built car 6 weeks ago so that side of it should be peachy the reason i say the rears are low effert is the facty the rear discs are are dull an dont get warm after a good hack about even but when bleeding them they seemed too be work an pedal is a nice an firm so me thinks put it on brake roller an go from there!

shalmaneser

Just FYI really, I'm running gti6 front calis and disc at the back on my 1.6, just plumbed everything in 'as is' and the braking is perfect as far as I'm concerned. Might put a bias valve in the rear line instead of the compensator at some point if I can be arsed. So the setup itself isn't dodgy, its one of your components and if I were you i'd be checking the condition of the brake lines at the back.