• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Masekwm

Failed Wheel Bearing?

Masekwm

Hi,

Reversed off the drive to the left the other day to a strange squeek, out yesterday and exiting a roundabout quickly was a rather loud squeek/squeal. No rumbles otherwise.

Jacked up the car today, passenger wheel is normal, drivers has a lot of play shown below, looking underneath it appears to be around the hub nut that is moving rather than the wishbone or the driveshaft.

Could it be a CV issue? Or is this the wheel bearing? If it's the wheel bearing is it a case of replacing both sides or just the knackered one?

th_SDV_0045.jpg

Thanks

Keith

welshpug

checked that the hub/driveshaft nut is tight?

Masekwm

Yeah, checked it with the torque wrench was a little loose so tightened it up. The video is after that though. I guess that's what would have killed the bearing?

M@tt

yeah bearing looks fooked mate :)

only need to replace the faulty side if the other side appears ok.

if you have access to a press then DIY otherwise you'll be looking at about £20 for a garge to do it plus the cost of a new bearing

Masekwm

Oh well, not to worry, suspension was all replaced 18 months ago with fresh bolts so it shouldn't be too bad.

No press, so I'll pop it down the local garage.

Masekwm

Bearing + £20 at the local place =

th_SDV_0049.jpg

M@tt

winner :)

marksorrento205

Good effort, I like the thumbs up at the end, that was fooked wasnt it :blush:

Masekwm

Yay fixed bearing, boo still have a squeal.

Will have to check the other side today for noise on spinning it's not damaged with play. Oh well at least I fixed a problem I didn't know existed :)

Masekwm

This is odd, I guess the hub is knackered, the new wheel bearing is moving around in the hub. I guess the old bearing has damaged the hub? I can't video the movement in the bearing but it can be clearly seen.

alync406

The bearing must have spun on the hub somehow damaging it.I have seen it happen a couple of times before on other cars,not on a peugeot though.

Masekwm
th_SDV_0055.jpg

EdCherry

Ovalled bearing housing possibly. Not much you can do about that other than changing the hub.

davev

to me that does not look like the bearing outer race is moving.(you can just see a bit of the race, the first clean bit above the ball joint.)

have you checked the hub nut if definatly tight enough. dont have the torque figure but i know its major tight.

failing that how about taking to the garage that fitted it and see if they think the bearing is faulty or wrong one.

Masekwm

Had a mate pop over tonight and he thinks the entire bearing is moving.

I've bought a new hub but I'm thinking it's possibly the wrong bearing?!

welshpug

it would be pretty obvious when fitting that its the wrong bearing, 1.6 and base model bearings are significantly smaller in diameter that they wouldn't be mistaken for 1.9 items and would not be fitted.

it sounds like the hub or hub carrier have been damaged by the old bearing seizing and spinning in the housing, this would wear away at the hub carrier or hub.

Masekwm

The car had been off the road for a while so I guess it could have seized during that time, it's only done 500 or so miles in the last month since it was retaxed after 11 months in the garage.

Replacement hubs are on their way so I'll whip the other off tomorrow and see whats happened

Masekwm

New hubs arrived last week, so on Saturday I headed out to have the bearing pressed in. Got it sorted and back on the car and still wobble in the wheel.

My mate who works as a tech at Ford arrived home and we sat baffled looking at two hubs with wobble in the bearing and one with wobble in the bit the wheel attaches to.

Pulled the hub off again and noticed that the new bearing hadn't quite seated so with a few taps of the hammer pressed it into place.

Took the car down the local garage to air gun the hub nuts up this morning and it looks like it's fixed :) No idea why the SKF bearing that was fitted before is like it is ;) But never mind.

Masekwm

400 miles on, it's gone again :( I've no idea what the hell is going on, it's doing the same as before.

The driveshaft is 2nd hand, is it possible that? Unlike all the other 1.9 ones I've seen it doesn't have the hole for the pin.

Edited by Masekwm