• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest D11FF B

Interior Heater Not Working

Guest D11FF B

My Intrerior heater doesn't work, and when I took it to pieces there were three cables attached to the back of the three switches. But on the centre one (Fan dial/switch) The cable doesn't move when I turn the knob. I think its probable due to a problem with the switch, but has anyone come across this problem before? and did you just replace the entire console unit?

It's very tight in there, so what's the best way to remove it?

Thanks

pug_ham

Your looking in the wrong area imo, its more likely to be the rheostat block which fits into the heater fan housing under the dash in the passenger footwell with a brown plug into it iirc held in by two screws.

You can bridge the wires in the plug to test the fan but its very unlikely to be the dash end if it imo.

Graham.

Guest D11FF B
Your looking in the wrong area imo, its more likely to be the rheostat block which fits into the heater fan housing under the dash in the passenger footwell with a brown plug into it iirc held in by two screws.

You can bridge the wires in the plug to test the fan but its very unlikely to be the dash end if it imo.

Graham.

Ok thanks, I'll have a look next time I'm working on my car. It just seems strange that the cable doesn't move when I turn the knob. But I'll take your advice and check there first! If it does turn out to be the rheostat block, is that easy to replace??

Ben.

Anthony

The fan speed is electrical - the two cables are for the hot air flap and the air direction flaps.

I'll second Pugtorque in that the fault will likely be the fan resistor - they're a reasonably common failure, and result in no power whatsoever to the fan.

KRISKARRERA

When I turn my fan to max and turn it back down it stays at full speed, do you think that's rheostat too?

welshpug

405's are a little different kris (especially yours with A/C :lol:)

I think there is a full speed relay, as you do hear a click as you move the slider.

marksorrento205

Graham.

And on the slight off chance it aint this (as it most probally will be the rheostat in the heater fan), I have found the circuit board behind the heater speed knob had failed

Edited by marksorrento205

Guest D11FF B

Ok thanks for the info!! I will try it out and see what happens!!

Thanks!

Ben

Guest mulletsrokk
Ok thanks for the info!! I will try it out and see what happens!!

Thanks!

Ben

I would have a look at the circuit board behind the knobs, but be careful, the contact will fly off when you remove the fan knob. Give it a clean with an eraser and give the contact a good clean too.

If this doesn't work, its highly likely to be your fan rheostat as mentioned.

I found a good trick to getting a working one. Go to a scrappy/ebay and get a complete heater box, they will normally let you have one for a lot cheaper than a rheostat alone. Plus you may get a good fan and a matrix too! ;)

stubby205
My Intrerior heater doesn't work, and when I took it to pieces there were three cables attached to the back of the three switches. But on the centre one (Fan dial/switch) The cable doesn't move when I turn the knob. I think its probable due to a problem with the switch, but has anyone come across this problem before? and did you just replace the entire console unit?

It's very tight in there, so what's the best way to remove it?

Thanks

my heater stopped working last year, with mine i found it wouldnt work when the headlights are on :blush: i swapped the fan and checked the circuit board and couldnt figure out what it was. still doesnt work but found if i unplug the headlight dimmer switch they will work while the headlights are on. this prob hasnt helped you but might be worth tryin if you need your heaters on before you can fix it properly.

rescue dude
my heater stopped working last year, with mine i found it wouldnt work when the headlights are on :( i swapped the fan and checked the circuit board and couldnt figure out what it was. still doesnt work but found if i unplug the headlight dimmer switch they will work while the headlights are on. this prob hasnt helped you but might be worth tryin if you need your heaters on before you can fix it properly.

My heater fan does exactly the same. :)

I'll try unplugging my dimmer as it's a pain it not working especially in the winter.

stubby205
My heater fan does exactly the same. :lol:

I'll try unplugging my dimmer as it's a pain it not working especially in the winter.

let me no if it works :lol: i no what you mean i had to sit in the car as the heaters warmed up to de-mist the windows before i could turn my lights on and drive anywere in the dark haha