• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
toodumbtosmile

Rear Hub / Bearing Removal And Renewal

toodumbtosmile

I am in the middle of removing my rear hub (1.9 GTI) - just unscrewed the hub nut and removed the washer. Looked at Haynes and done searches and i thought the hub should now just pull off - should i just pull harder or am i missing something?

Tom Fenton

You will find that you will destroy the bearing removing it. Unless you really need to take it off, or have a new one at the ready, I'd leave it alone.

jord294

personally to protect the bearing race, i'd knock the stub axle pin through :)

hcmini1989

How free are the brakes .Give the drum a crack with a hammer whilst leavering the drum off with a screwdriver or pry bar.Carefull not to bend the back plate jjust keep working around it. If it seems like your getting no where and the drum spins freely chances are the bearing will be seized on the shaft.If this is the case i found the easiest way is to knock the stub axle out .Just use a hammer to knock the middle where the hub nut goes and it`ll slide out the back eventully.Once again carefull not to damage the stub axle so put the nut on the shaft whilst your hitting it or use a brass drift so you dont reck the thread

As tom says you`ll pronbably need a new bearing allthough i have got mine off using the method above without damaging anything .Just get a replacement nut as it will be f***d after hitting it

edit jord beat me to it

Edited by hcmini1989

marksorrento205
I am in the middle of removing my rear hub (1.9 GTI) - just unscrewed the hub nut and removed the washer. Looked at Haynes and done searches and i thought the hub should now just pull off - should i just pull harder or am i missing something?

How free are the brakes .Give the drum a crack with a hammer whilst leavering the drum off with a screwdriver or pry bar.Carefull not to bend the back plate jjust keep working around it. If it seems like your getting no where and the drum spins freely chances are the bearing will be seized on the shaft.If this is the case i found the easiest way is to knock the stub axle out .Just use a hammer to knock the middle where the hub nut goes and it`ll slide out the back eventully.Once again carefull not to damage the stub axle so put the nut on the shaft whilst your hitting it or use a brass drift so you dont reck the thread

As tom says you`ll pronbably need a new bearing allthough i have got mine off using the method above without damaging anything .Just get a replacement nut as it will be f***d after hitting it

edit jord beat me to it

:)

hcmini1989
;)

:) ah right mines a 1.6 never mind ay.Took ages writing that .still same method applies though for removing stub axle

marksorrento205
:) ah right mines a 1.6 never mind ay.Took ages writing that .still same method applies though for removing stub axle

10/10 for effort ;)

toodumbtosmile

Got to do it as my bearings knackered. Got a replacement bearing and hub from gsf. Got some movement from it. Was going to buy a slide hammer on tuesday, though knocking axle pin thru sounds like an excellent plan jord294. Thanks for all your advice.

miamichris

a three legged puller will do the job too mate, if you have one.

Miles

Before you start, Make sure the bearing is right, I know GSF had a huge batch which where wrong, Or even if the branded ones they do don;t use it they are very poor quality,

hothatch

you will need to get the bearing out before you can see its the right one. obviously make sure the one you have is not way out.

Guest mulletsrokk

Just thwack the stub axle with a big 'ammer and a punch! B)