• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Iain-gti

Removing Wheels

Iain-gti

Please help, i have the standard 1.9 speedlines on my car but can not remove them due to having no locking key and the locking wheel nut it self being mangled. I removed two of them with a hammer and chisel but the other two will not budge. I cant fit a socket down the side between the wheel and locking nut, tried welding a nut on but it wouldnt hold.

Any suggestion are much appreciated i am losing my rag with it.

Thanks in advanced Iain

Tom Fenton

Drill the heads off. Start with a small drill, mark and centre punch as accurately as you can. Then slowly work your way up the drill sizes. Get to about 12mm and you then can usually break what is left by taking all the other bolts off, and with the car firmly supported, yanking the wheel about and breaking the (drilled) locking bolt.

Iain-gti

Thats going to take ages :) but probably no longer than ive been spending with my best friends hammer and chisel!

large

about 10 to 15 min per wheel. :)

welshpug

and keep the drill speed DOWN!

Iain-gti

quick question, pilot hole first and then get bigger and bigger working your up with holes so you split it in half?. in the middle of the stud yee? and just big enough to be able to break up with the chisel again?

welshpug

bang on down the middle yes, get it right and move up to 12mm, and you wont need a chisel, just a good yank on the wheel will break the last little bit.

it is a 12mm thread after all, so if you go deep enough, it might even come off in your hand :)

Iain-gti

i hope so, spent so long with hammer and chisel :) thanks for advice.