• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
feb

Clunk When Braking During Reversing

feb

After having the brake pads changed I noticed that there is a clunk when:

- going forward, stopping, reversing and braking => clunk

- reversing, stop, move forward brake => clunk

I doesn't happen all the time though.

Would that indicate wrong pads are fitted and there is a slack somewhere or something is missing?!

I am planning on taking the car to the ring this weekend and want to make sure it's OK!

The pads fitted were the Pagid RS 4-2-1 for Brembo calipers.

Also when on the motorway and if I haven't touched the brakes for quite sometime, when I first touch the brake pedal gently there will be a small squeel.

Cheers :)

Edited by feb

daveo

i think on vauxhalls this point to a sticky (read seizing) caliper. i'm sure i had something like this on my 205 before i had to replace a rear caliper... £80

Obey_R

I had a similar sound on my XE and was seized shocks on the rear?

Tom Fenton

Sounds undoubtably like the pads are moving in the caliper. Certainly needs checking out at the very least.

feb
Sounds undoubtably like the pads are moving in the caliper. Certainly needs checking out at the very least.

That's what I thought as well.

I will have it checked, cheers!

Paul_13

Caliper come loose from the yoke?

Otherwise deffinately pads.

Had an exact same problem on my old 1.1, think it was very worn sliders.

blessed6383

if your running the 1.6gti brake check you have the little wire clips in properly and if there even there?

blessed6383

sorry my bad just read your running brembo must be wrong pads fitted i'd of said

feb
if your running the 1.6gti brake check you have the little wire clips in properly and if there even there?

I forgot to mention, this is in my Forester (as per signature - although not a 205 but I thought the cause of such a thing would be common)

Edited by feb

Cameron

Isn't this meant to be the main sign of worn balljoints?

The Arch Bishop

Yep, my 205 does all these clunks and the ball joints are tired in that.

feb

Apparently a few others with upgraded pads (e.g Tar-Ox) have the same noise, I had them checked and they are all OK. The subaru dealer also mentioned the same. I was told that you will get a bit of play in the pagid pads as they have an allowance for temperature. This is because of the increase in friction causes much greater temperatures than standard.

Clunk only happens once when you change direction so it matches with the above. The squeek disappeared after the ring.

Edited by feb

hothatch

just check the brake pads you have fitted, the calipers eg.. yokes sliders and bolts. if no joy just check all the suspension for play, 10minute jobby.

dino20vt
Apparently a few others with upgraded pads (e.g Tar-Ox) have the same noise, I had them checked and they are all OK. The subaru dealer also mentioned the same. I was told that you will get a bit of play in the pagid pads as they have an allowance for temperature. This is because of the increase in friction causes much greater temperatures than standard.

Clunk only happens once when you change direction so it matches with the above. The squeek disappeared after the ring.

My Fiat Coupe does exactly this and it has Brembo four pots with Tarox pads that run at silly temperatures. Unconnected to the knocking I've also got new genuine wishbones so I doubt in your case it'll be worn ball joints.

hothatch

Well I've never heartd of that with the free play to make room fot heat excpansion, makes sense .

Just check things before taking this for gospel though.