• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Lankylad78

Factory Fitted Body Kit

Lankylad78

Hi Guy's, Newbie here.

I've been searching for a few months now for my first 205, and have yet to find the right one. I'm off to look at one tomorrow but unfortunately it has the body kit (the one with the shopping trolley handle spoiler). I know that most enthusiasts can't abide them. And TBH, I'm not over keen either. However, I figure if it's mechanically and structurally sound, then the body kit can be removed at a later date.

What I really want to find is, how can you tell if it's an original body kit? It's been advertised as "factory fitted", yet I've seen a reply to another thread on here that they were actually "dealer fitted". When I spoke with the guy the other day I asked how he knew it was a factory kit? His reply was "someone told me"!

So without an original invoice or receipt, are there any discernable markings or stamps that I can look for? Obviously if it looks like it's been fitted by a 5-year old, it probably isn't original.

Also, quickly. It's a '92 J. Were these all CAT models, or was it a cross-over point. If so can I tell from the VIN?

Any help or comments on this would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully, this time tomorrow, I will have lost my 205 cherry. I have learnt not to hold my breath though!

Thanks in advance

Sean

Paul_13

Post some pictures mate will be easiest

Paul_13

Yep optional from Peugeot, not my taste with the spoiler.

I think it's the Peugeot Sport kit, could be wrong. Don't think it's zender as someone mentioned in that link.

Lankylad78

Cheers Paul, thats answered that one. I agree with you, it's not really my cup of tea, but if the cars itself is good I'd be daft to turn it down because of the kit. It'd be like not buying a house because you didn't like the wallpaper.

Any idea's on identifying a cat model via the VIN?

m_attt

cat came legal from late k (92) onwards so should be no cat in a j plate.

Lankylad78

Cheers fella's, I appreciate your help. Just hope it doesn't turn out to be a complete bag of spanners!

Paul_13

Just a few hints on rust hunting, few common places are;

Inner wing on seam

Under boot underlay in corners

Behind bumper under headlights

Under rear seats in corners

Footwell behind front seats

Bottom of B pillar

Probably a few more but they're the main ones

Stand behind the car so you can both rear wheels and see if they are cambered. For example; This: | | Not this: / \

If they are cambered the beam will need looking at, unless it has ZX or GTI6 trailing arms

Edited by Paul_13

Lankylad78

Cheers Paul. I'd read to check for rust when buying, but didn't know those main area's, so that's a big help thanks.

I've read about the rear beam fault on threads on here. Think that is my major concern TBH. But people have commented on here, that even if it looks OK but hasn't been done it's best to get is sorted.

I've got a feeling the wife wont be seeing much of me at weekends in the near future! :D

scotty

I have a kit like this one i removed from a J reg and it was Peugeot stamped

Lankylad78

Where abouts is the stamp scotty. i.e. Would it be visable anywhere whilst attached to the car?

jimistdt

Under the front wheel, on the edge of the skirt, where you would affix mudflaps, there should be a Peugeot moniker and part number, may well be covered in crud, but it should be visible.

lemmingzappa

If you buy the car and want to remove the front valance, i'll definately buy it off you if it's in one piece.

Lankylad78

Thanks for the advice guys.

Lemmingzappa, If your really desperate for a front valance, and I don't buy it, I could always try the distract and leg-it method! B)

SurGie

Rust gets under the seal if brake fluid has dripped in the area where the inner wing meets the bulkhead right under the master cylinder.

BTW thats not a Zender front valance its the Peugeot sport kit. The car looks good from the picture.

Lankylad78

Hey SurGie,

Thanks for the tip on the brake fluid leak. BTW the car in the link is not the one I'm off to see (pity). This one's a nice (hopefully) white one. My personal favourite.

TU_Later

Can anyone sell me the front valance? I thought it was a zender, its the same style as the scirrocco mk2 zender front valance! :lol:

Arahan

I had one once and it was stamped with Peugeot! Iv still got the spoiler if you want that!