• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
choco

Tracking Is Off Big Time

choco

Hi all,

Is it normal that my tracking is REALLY off after changing my wishbones/driveshafts/rearbeam from 205GTI to 309GTI. It drives like both frontwheels are lose. If i stand in front of my car i think they are pointing outwards quite a bit?

Cheers,

Johnny

blessed6383

the track is wider so i'd say yes u will need it tracked again

Baz

Of course, the tracking will be towing out wildly as the hubs are now 10mm or so wider, but the steering rack/arms/TRE's length hasn't changed!

SurGie

So on average how many complete turns of the track rod would it need with the 309 bones ?

Tom Fenton

No way of really saying with any accuracy. My advice would be adjust it roughly by eye (each side an equal amount) and then drive it slowly to your nearest place to get it set up.

McDude

I changed my TREs and wound the new ones in the exact same amount as the old ones. They were still miles out.

After all the work you've done I'm not surprised the tracking is out.

oz.

Does a 309 steering rack fit? if so why not fit one of those? It might then mean that the TRE's don't have so much exposed thread.

Paul_13

You can just fit the 309 track arms if you don't have the whole rack, but I think the arms are the only difference between the two

Baz

205 and 309 racks are exactly the same.

jord294

iirc, wind out the tre each side about 4mm

but best advice is to get it done properly :lol:

SurGie

Nice one Jord294.

pug_ham

Moved into correct section, please check before posting a topic.

Graham.

shalmaneser

just confirming that there's tons of room for threads with a 205 rack and 309 arms.

I drove my car a few miles unadjusted with 309 bones on and 205 tracking and it was one of the most terrifying driving experiences of my life!

Anthony

Wind the TRE's out approximately 5mm each side and that should get the tracking close enough to drive it to get it setup properly :)

marksorrento205
I changed my TREs and wound the new ones in the exact same amount as the old ones. They were still miles out.

Out of interest was the tracking right before you started and did you check the new and old tre had the same length of thread etc. I always measure mine from the center of the ball joint (on the underside) to the arm you screw it into. That way it will always be in the parish from where you started. Then I have it checked to be sure.

GLPoomobile

Coming soon to a forum near you....

"I just fitted a turbo charger and now my fuelling is way out. Why?"

:)

marksorrento205
Coming soon to a forum near you....

"I just fitted a turbo charger and now my fuelling is way out. Why?"

:)

;)

GilesW

I really don't see the point in not getting your tracking done properly after you've done something like this (and I mean by a trusted garage whilst you're watching them as there are loads of bad 'pro's out there).

You've gone to all this effort of fitting 309 stuff to better you handling and then you either don't bother to get it tracked or guess at it.

What a waste of time.

oz.

Does anyone know how the laser alignment works? If they just line up the front to back wheels then it's gonna put the front wheels toeing out as the rear track is narrower.

shalmaneser
Does anyone know how the laser alignment works? If they just line up the front to back wheels then it's gonna put the front wheels toeing out as the rear track is narrower.

The don't do that at all, they know when the wheels are parallel and go from there. Most cars have different front and rear tracks.

MerlinGTI

Go somewhere that has a Hunter setup with WinAlign software. Will be around £50-£80.

Big bodyshops are a good place to go :)

To answer your question, the front is adjusted to suit the rear. Any adjustments to the rear (not possible on a 205) will alter the front settings. Front settings do not however affect the rear geometry. If the rear is out a little bit (tortion bar setups usually are, even from new) the front is set to compensate for this.

Track width (for want of a better term) doesnt really come into it in a laser 4 wheel alignment. Its where each wheel is pointing that matters, not how far apart they are.

Edited by MerlinGTI