• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skinner2k3

Master Cylinder Bent Whilst Jacking Engine

skinner2k3

Hi

Whilst removing the cylinder head on my 205 at the weekend I jacked the engine up to remove the top engine mount. What I didn’t notice was that the engine had leant back a bit under the master cylinder and when I jacked it up it pushed the master cylinder up with it. Once I noticed I pulled the engine forward and the master cylinder seemed to spring back to its normal position. Must have been pushed up by an inch or so at the end.

Nothing is leaking or obviously broken, I think the face of servo must have flexed but am worried about the piston rod bending.

Anyone done that and got away with it, how could I check???

Cheers

omega

not done it but think i would replace you dont want to take chances with brakes

omega

oops double post

Edited by omega

skinner2k3

Thats sort of my feelings too but I dont know what to replace!

Does anyone know if the servo is on rubber mounts to the bulk head allowing some movement?

Once the engine is back together I can test the brakes again and will have more of an idea if something is obviously wrong.

Tom Fenton

The servo is bolted direct to the pedal box, which is bolted direct to the bulkhead. Having said that there is some flex in the bulkhead as standard. Routine practise on competition cars is to weld a reinforcement plate where the pedal box attaches, I have also done this on my red 205 as it has a pedal box without servo, so the forces from the pedal are higher.

Nickmatthewsrallying

Easiest thing todo would be remove the master cylinder and servo from the pedal box to see if anything is bent.

as 'omega' you want to be sure that anything to do with brakes is 100% fine.

skinner2k3

Dont think I am going to be 100% confident until I have at least had the master cylinder off and checked nothing was bent.

As I said it returned to its normal position so I think if anything I flexed either the servo cover or the bulkhead.

First thing I guess is get it running again and see if everything still works.

welshpug

I doubt you would have bent the M/C, but possible you might have bent the servo's body or the pedal box or bulkhead.

skinner2k3

In hindsight I could have writen the title better, I dont think I actually bent the master cylinder either, rather flexed something it is bolted to.

Having never had a pedal box apart I cant really picture what would have happend. I guess there is a push rod from the pedal box to the piston rod of the master cylinder? Are they sleeved together or do they just butt up against easch other? Just trying to think if the master cylinder was deflected could it move independantly of whatever is actuating it?