• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tommer

Rear Beam Adjustment, Level Setting?

Tommer

Hi guys,

I while ago now I rebuilt my 309 gti rear beam, all went well, all worked fine, still does, still pleased as punch...

however,

I can't help but be a little miffed at the fact when I was setting the ride height, putting the torsion beams in, I couldn't seem to get it the same on both sides, so the car sits slightly higher at the rear on one side.

does anyone know any hand hints or tips to get it nice and level?

cheers

welshpug

very easy with a dummy damper tool, I do believe M@tt may have a few left over in his group buy thread.

also is this with or without the ABS fitted? check it without and make sure the ground is level with all 4 wheels on the ground and the tyre pressures set/

Tommer

non-ABS, I made up a dummy damper at the height i wanted it, bolted the dummy on and then got it as near as possible, but found it impossible to get it exactly. may only be one spline out but it makes a massive difference :I(

welshpug

sorry, I meant ARB, anti roll bar.

indeed, one spline makes a fair difference.

shalmaneser

have you freed off both sides of the TB? If so it should be relatively easy, just set the height and keep turning the TB until it slides in nice 'n' easy. I couldn't get both sides of one of my TBs out so it's left me with a limited choice of heights, high or low basically. However since one TB is completely free I managed to get them level by twisting the free TB until both sides were the same, or +/- a couple of mm.

It's hard to explain the technique in writing, maybe someone should do a video?

Paul_13

I had this problem even with using the dummy shock, I turned the bar round 360' and it still wouldn't fit in properly.

I had to raise the arm slightly to get the bar to fit.