• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
andyjstone

Drive Shaft Removal

andyjstone

Just got around to changing my drive shafts and the long one was fine, but the short one just won't come out of the diff.

It's a TranX diff, although I can't see why that should make any difference, any suggestions?

DrSarty

It will come out. Just wiggle and pull (and strain) and it will come out.

Baz

I've had one get very stuck, and it still is now. Had to remove the diff from the box etc, beaten the sh!t out of it and still not managed to get it apart! -yet to take the angle grinder to it... :mellow:

DrSarty

Oh bugger. That's not good Baz. Sorry to hear that.

I've missed a few heart beats in minor panics, but they've always come out after a few panic pulls and wiggles.

andyjstone
I've had one get very stuck, and it still is now. Had to remove the diff from the box etc, beaten the sh!t out of it and still not managed to get it apart! -yet to take the angle grinder to it... :ph34r:

Now you've really cheered me up :(

I've had a KFC, so I'm going to give it another go now - it hasn't been in there long so surely it can't be that stuck!

swordfish210

Have you tried a really big pry-bar?

Paul_13

You have taken the balljoint out of the hub? :ph34r::(

andyjstone
You have taken the balljoint out of the hub? :ph34r::(

Very funny - actually that whole end of the drive shaft has pulled off now as it was knackered anyway and I'm left with just the last bit of shaft and the cup at the gearbox end.

I've tried all of the above suggestions - wiggling/pulling, hitting it with a hammer, levering it off with a large screwdriver, hitting it again, driving a wedge up between the 'box and the end of the shaft and hitting it once more for good measure!!

For now I've put the hub back on and pushed it back in the garage as I've run out of suggestions.

The only last thing I can think of to try is to try and attach a slide hammer on to whats left of the shaft or a ratchet strap between the shaft and my garage!

Anyone got any other suggestions???

Edited by andyjstone

Paul_13

Use the existing cup and use the new driveshaft?

Does the CV cup look worn on inside?

Could be wrong but isn't it the rollers that wear and not the cup itself?

Edited by Paul_13

andyjstone
Use the existing cup and use the new driveshaft?

Does the CV cup look worn on inside?

Could be wrong but isn't it the rollers that wear and not the cup itself?

Yes, but aren't the rollers mounted on the end of the spline inside the cup, or do they come off? Seems a shame to pull apart a new shaft just 'cos I can't get the old one out!

Paul_13

Mounted on the shaft mate, not in the cup. The inner cv cup comes away from the cup once the CV boot is undone.

Just be careful and hold the driveshaft upright so that the needles don't go every where when you take the cup off. Can give you a hand if you get stuck, in Leeds for next week though back on Friday 3pm

This is what the end of the shaft looks like the cup slides on to this.

Edited by Paul_13

andyjstone
Mounted on the shaft mate, not in the cup. The inner cv cup comes away from the cup once the CV boot is undone.

Just be careful and hold the driveshaft upright so that the needles don't go every where when you take the cup off. Can give you a hand if you get stuck, in Leeds for next week though back on Friday 3pm

This is what the end of the shaft looks like the cup slides on to this.

Yes, but it's the other end that's come apart, the end by the diff.

I might take you up on your offer if I haven't got it sorted by the end of the week as I'm supposed to be going to Brands the following week.

Do you think heating it with a heat gun would help??

welshpug

hmm, not sure if the diff you have in there has a hole all the way through it or not, standard ones dont.

Paul_13

That bit in the pic is the end by the diff mate. The cv joint by the hub doesn't come off unless you hit it off.