• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rallyvan

Handbrake

Rallyvan

When I release the handbrake it will start rolling but there is still a fair bit of resistance, the pads have plenty left on them (disk brakes) could any1 point me in the right direction as to what might be causing this?

Mr_E

Check to see if your rear caliper sliders are free.

Check that the cables havnt started to rust up and go tight.

Clean the pad faces and the discs with a bit of sandpaper to deglaze them.

cheers

Paul

Tom Fenton

As above really. Check rear pads are not seized in caliper. Check handbrake cable outers for splits, if they are split it can make the cables go tight. Also make sure that your cables are not adjusted too tightly.

one-lady-owner

I had the same problem with the ZX (exactly the same braking system front and rear as the 1.9) the sliders were free but the piston was near enough seized solid. My first thought was cables, so I changed them but it was still happening.

I put a new caliper on 2 days ago, very easy job, I decided to throw caution (and my wallet) to the wind and buy new, it was a pagid remake (£80 + £47 surcharge), fitted perfectly and I can feel the difference in how the car drives and brakes! (It's also a bonus that I can use the handbrake again!) As far as I've read those rear calipers are fairly infamous for sticking handbrake mechanisms, what threw me off the caliper scent when I first looked is that the sliders were free, the piston was not!

Whip the wheel off, take the pads out try the sliders but also check that the piston rotates freely (there's a small amount of seal drag but nothing major) if it's a PITA to turn, it'll either need replacing or rebuilding!

Rallyvan

Cheers lad much appreciated

hengti

what can also happen is that the arms run out of grease and gum up, so they don't return properly (that could also be related to the cables) - best just take it all off/apart and clean/regrease

Raccoon

This happened to my AX :mellow:

timb1046

before doing anything i'd ensure that it IS your rear pads causing the problem, not somthing else which isnt as it should be.