• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ORB

Abs

ORB

Where to start!

I was not sure about the ABS on my GTi, so today I slammed on the brakes at about 40 and left some big black marks up the road.

Not working!

I have no tell tale on the dash to say it is at fault, so i guess the bulb has 'gone'

Where would you start to try to get it all working again?

It all appears to be there and plugged in.....

Paul_13

Faulty sensor on one of the wheels?

Or the ABS ecu in the back isn't working.

I ripped my ABS system out, never ever worked

welshpug

was it the fronts or rears that locked?

ORB

front

welshpug

I'd check it actually has ABS shafts firstly.

ORB

it does indeed, well, it has sensors in the hubs and the shafts have reluctor rings on the ends!

Paul_13

Are there ABS sensors on the back?

I know Gti6's do but I never came across them on my 205, think previous owner had changed beam.

Are all the plugs plugged in on pump? I think there a fuse/relay near it aswell.

welshpug

205 only has 2 wheel ABS, not sure on the workings of the system, but should be easy enough to check its powering up fine, check the bulb etc.

I believe Miles knows the system.

hothatch

If you definatly have all the correct equipment ie. Reluctor rings and sensors and so on. Check all the wiring for continuity just for piece of mind. Then jackl the car up with a multimetre check the resistance of the abs sensors when wheel stationry and watch the figures as you spin the wheel. Should go up.

0.0 - 0.1 wheel still

And increase with wheel speed to around 0.5 - 0.6 for the highest. Should tell you if the sensors are faulty. It is really effective as I have found.

Good luck.

Ben

Miles

Not the best of system's and little is known about it, Even Pug dealers at the time knew little.

I;d ditch it as the system is crude and if you really did want ABS fit a system off a 306 along with the rear hub's and then at least you have 4 wheel ABS

hothatch
Not the best of system's and little is known about it, Even Pug dealers at the time knew little.

I;d ditch it as the system is crude and if you really did want ABS fit a system off a 306 along with the rear hub's and then at least you have 4 wheel ABS

I bet the needle valves are prown to some sort of failure being such an old system

ade 4wd

Check the fuses in the shunt box in the engine bay. Can you hear the relay clicking on the ABS pump unit when you switch on the ignition? Also check ABS warning lamp on dash, even if the system is not working the lamp will be on.