• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fatony1

Gti-6 M/c Clearance...

fatony1

I have my '6 lump on BBM mounts, i have one of Miles' reangled manifolds and i've spaced the 2 bottom studs on the servo by about 5mm, so (i think) my conversion is 'proper' in the sense of everything being done in the best tried and tested way.

However im still having trouble getting clearance on the M/C, not up/down on the rocker cover but to the left of the M/C on the cam belt cover :wacko: I've tried a huge lever bar on the side of the servo to 'ease' it to the right a little but im paranoid of breaking anything. I've also tried to shift the cam belt cover over a bit with no joy. I assume spacing the servo 'sideways' isnt a good idea? What are other people doing? I'd hate to come this far doing things 'properly' only to chop some of the cam cover away B)

Edited by fatony1

Miles

Have you tried to adjust the engine's side to side movement at the gearbox mount?

CosKev

Did everything the same as you and had to chop the rear cambelt cover in the end :lol:

No way round it ;)

kate205gti

same as i had to do on mine ;)

angle grinder - 2 seconds - bzzzpt :lol:

Anthony

As Miles says, loosen the gearbox mount and lever the whole engine/gearbox over towards the offside before tightening the mount again (with the engine still levered over) - that normally gains you a few extra millimeters.

The problem with 205 shells is that the tolerances are all over the place, and what works fine and gives good clearance on one won't be sufficient on another. As an example, I helped reshell a friends 205 Mi16 over the weekend - the engine was tight on the MC but had plenty of clearance on the exhaust on the original shell, but despite moving over everything including the mounts, it had loads of clearance on the MC but was very tight on the exhaust when fitted to the new shell. By my reckoning, there's in excess of half an inch difference between the two shells, which is massive frankly! :lol:

I'm sure I ended up having to angle the m/c slightly to the left (as well as upwards) using washers - only very slightly mind. I don't really see a problem with this? Also, I shaved a good 1-2mm off the side of the m/c. I cut into an old m/c to see how thick the walls were just to check I'd be able to get away with this.

Doing these things, as well as what Miles suggests above, did enough for mine and I'm only using an uprated bottom mount - box and top are standard, albeit new. Though I'm sure uprated all round would be better, ultimately (apart from the vibrations!).

fatony1

Thanks for the info people :D Ill try leavering the engine over tomorrow, if not, cut the cam cover it is :P

CosKev
Thanks for the info people :D Ill try leavering the engine over tomorrow, if not, cut the cam cover it is B)

Cut the cam cover it will be :P

boldy205

From memory there is LOADS of room between the cam cover/belt.