• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
martyn180

Wheels 'skipping' When Turning

martyn180

Have the Derby Psooc meet last night, was driving home the b road practising for the hill at Pugfest.

noticed when I bearing sharply left, the right tyre felt like it 'skipped' and was ok on the straights. I noticed this on at least 3 sharpish bend 30 ish

Turning right, around roundabouts etc no problem?

Has the shock lost its control - have some b4 ordered, but just wonded if its something else?

Cameron

Front or rear?

martyn180

Front driver side .

205turbo

hedge finders ie p6000 i'm guessing

kyepan

what are your current rear and front tyre pressures?

martyn180
what are your current rear and front tyre pressures?

No idea, will check at next outing but visually ok.

p6000 rock in a straight line lol- wanted to get some 3 wheel action at pugfest lol but doubtful

Batfink

do you have a front strutbrace? Does it feel like the chassis not responding to the road or a mechanical fault?

Edited by Batfink

martyn180
do you have a front strutbrace? Does it feel like the chassis not responding to the road or a mechanical fault?

Dont have anything like that, standard car. Dont get any other noises as such that I could associate with the skippping/hopping. first time I thought it ws the engine labouring a bit, but pushing it further seemed clear that it was the wheel.

Got a new wishbone to put on, and some new rods end to do when my bilsteins come so may sort it self out once I get it tracked up.

kyepan

Check the tyre pressures first before thinking about spending any money, side-wall flex and consequential skip frequency (not sure of the correct term) are directly related.

Think of the tyre side-wall like a spring, and think of the pressure like the spring rate and the height of the side-wall the length of the spring.

If you want any evidence of this look at the super-slow-mo of hamilton going over the kerbs at last weeks grand prix, you will see a good example of the wall flexing and oscillating.

I was going to harp on about unsprung weight, lets assume you don't have heavy big alloys and massive heavy brakes...

i'm also assuming you don't have shagged old top mounts that rattle about and let the tyres do all sorts of odd geometric things under load, and reasonable condition dampers.

Edited by kyepan

martyn180

Thanks Keypan, replacing for asthetics as well- sad i know . New top mounts full kits, bearings etc last year from pug.

Just more that it was 'new sensation' and nothing had changed since. car only comes out once a week normally.

Paul_13

My 306 does this quite badly, wishbone P bushe is shagged. Have you checked the wishbone/suspension bushes (and top mount bearings)? Could be a few things suspension wise.

Tyre pressure is worth checking as Justin said ^

Also is your tracking correct?

Henry Yorke

Worn wishbone bushes tend to lunge you more than skip I have found when under load. When changing the wishbone, check the hub has not ovalled as that may cause a wobbly sensation which might feel similar to skipping. Also the tracking could be well out on one side

martyn180

Defo the tracking is out, just waiting for postie for new bits. Tyre Pressure ok.

Ta

welshpug

I felt something a bit like this earlier, and I know for certain that the rear dampers on the car are nowhere near gti spec, and that the fronts are original (1987!!)