• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stuart1298

Help Needed, Shaking Car.....

stuart1298

i have had a problem since i bought the car, i have done a few things and its got better

from the start when i got to 50mph the whole car seems to be shaking, and you cant drive through it,

i changed the wishbones as the joint were screwed, no difference....

chnaged o/s drive shaft, it seemed to be very nochy, this slightly improved the problem, it didnt start still 60mph

changed n/s drive saft, shaft seemed ok, has once again slightly improved, now starts at 70mph

tracking and wheel balancing has also been done,

getting really fed up with it now, i am starting to wonder if the drive shafts may have knocked out the wheel bearings, which i belive i may need to have pressed put and in, so this will need to go to a mechanic to be done..

cheers for any help, Stu

Daviewonder

Hi Mate, could it be an egged tyre? Has the car been stood up for a long time as this can cause flat spots on the tyres? Have you tried swapping the front wheels with the rears?

pug_ham

As above, I went through a similar routine on my old STDT when I bought it & it had a vibration at a certain speed.

Swapped driveshafts & wishbones (at least one did have a knackered bush) but it turned out to be a rear tyre had an egg that finally came to light when I got a flat tyre.

Swapped the wheel & all was fixed.

Graham.

stuart1298

I had the balancing done on the fronts, the wheels had been sitting for at least a year as i got them with my old 306, my missus has a 207 company car, i might borrow the wheels off of that tonight as a way of testing,

cheers and i'll keep you updated

Silky

I had a very similar problem in my wife's old HDI, I changed the driveshafts and the wheel bearings and the problem went away.

I would suggest changing the wheel bearings, just whip the hubs off one evening and get the new bearings and hubs down to a local friendly garage the following morning for them to be pressed in/out. My mate does mine in Basildon, but am sure you'll find someone more local. Probably cost £5/10 per side

Michael

kyepan

can you feel it through the wheel and gearstick, or just the gearstick? which is stronger?

stuart1298

its the enitire car shaking,

MrG

I reckon its tyres, similar issue on our old BMW, changed the (what looked like reasonable) tyres and job done.

stuart1298

Gonna pinch my other halfs wheels tonight, n give that a go. fingers crossed

TT205

Tyres +1

timb1046

im also one for a tyre (or more than one) causing the problem. let us know how it goes once you've swapping the wheels

stuart1298

right put the front wheels from her car on to mine, made a slight difference, but the rear ones wouldnt go on, as hers a a bigger profile, so put all my wheels on her car, took it for a spin, and her car was shaking, so new tyres it is, cheers for the help guys,

so i'm gonna sell the gti6 wheels, with screw tyres, and my odd 3 1.6 wheels, and hopefully cover the cost of a set of 1.9 wheels,

pug_ham

IMO its more likely to be a rear tyre, was on my car anyway but check the sidewalls etc for bulges & damage.

Graham.

stuart1298

bought a set of 1.9 wheels with s*it hot tires, problem solved!!

but now found i have warped discs, but there crap any way, got an excuse for bigger brakes!!!