• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob205

Calling 205 Owners With 309 Rear Beams...

Rob205

Hi Folks,

As owners of 205s with 309 rear beams I'd really appreciate your opinions on the following:

I'm considering putting a 309 rear beam and front wishbones on my 205 GTi 1.9. I've read the posts available and think I'm right in saying that this should make the car more planted in the corners.

My question is more subjective than that however:

The thing that I love most about our cars is their untamed hooligan nature - the responsive steering and amazing feedback wrapped in an edgy package that will never be replicated by any mass manufacturer again. Under no circumstances do I want to compromise this.

I'm asking for your 'seat of the pants' opinions on how widening the track with the 309 kit effects the feeling you get when driving your 205s. By making the car more stable does it effect the steering speed and feel ? Does it blunt in any way the feeling that you get when pushing on ?

Thanks in advance for any opinions you can share.

Rob.

shalmaneser

Not at all in my opinion, although I'm no race driver. The ride is harder, although not by much (running approx 170 lb springs at the front) and the back end will certainly still come round especially if you provoke her in the wet - that's with a solid rear beam kit fitted too.

It's a good upgrade IMO if you're willing to compromise some level of comfort in town for a much tighter, pointier car.

jord294

from experience of having a 309 beam on my 205 gti, i think it's a good modification. especially matched to the 309 wishbones up front

i'd advise any 205 owner to try it

the majority of beams i sell are to 205 gti owners :lol:

Baz

It bears no difference at all to the level of comfort!

IMO you can't really compare the 2 unless you have a 205 beam to exactly the same spec or near as damn it!

I'm lucky in that i can do just that. Mine (309 beam with 306 trailing arms on solid mounts) steps out massively still when provoked, but is very progressive and can be steered on the throttle easily. But i don't think it's massively different to my 205 with ZX arms on solid mounts either.

It does feel pretty well-planted on high speed corners though, not that the 205 beam doesn't, but a little more so. But then i find myself asking if that's more a characteristic of the different levels of toe they each have.

In summary, i don't think there's a massive difference, and i wouldn't advise anyone to go a 309 beam over a 205 one, unless you're driving style, and what you're using the car for had a bearing on it.

Hardly much help am i! I guess i really need to do more testing! :lol:

Edited by Baz

Rob205
Not at all in my opinion, although I'm no race driver. The ride is harder, although not by much (running approx 170 lb springs at the front) and the back end will certainly still come round especially if you provoke her in the wet - that's with a solid rear beam kit fitted too.

It's a good upgrade IMO if you're willing to compromise some level of comfort in town for a much tighter, pointier car.

Many thanks, so you think it actually makes the car even more pointy ? If so that's even better in my books.

Anthony
The thing that I love most about our cars is their untamed hooligan nature - the responsive steering and amazing feedback wrapped in an edgy package that will never be replicated by any mass manufacturer again. Under no circumstances do I want to compromise this.

I've been running 309 beams on my 205's for a few years now, and am happy with the difference it makes to the car. I've built lots of them for people, and never yet had anyone that's unhappy :lol:

It certainly doesn't compromise the handling of the car - you lose a degree of the nervousness on the limit that the 205 rear gives, and replaces it with a much more planted feel, but one that can still be steered on the throttle as before. In some ways, it perhaps makes the whole package even more "hooligan" like, as it can be grabbed by the scruff of the neck and thrown around even more than before. Turn-in is slightly improved as well thanks to the stiffer bars, although with uprated bars available for 205 beams now this can done without the width (for a cost, of course)

One thing I will say is that if you're buying a used beam, get it rebuilt as they're all dead or dying these days in my experience. Also, the extra width limits what wheels you can run on the back - 6" odd wheels and 195 ish tyres are about the limit, which is fine for most people, but something to consider if you are thinking of running wider wheels.

I often go through Wantage on my way to and from work, and if needs be I'd be happy to take you for a quick spin in my '89 205 that has 309 suspension front and rear (amongst other suspension mods)

(205 vs 309 beams have been discussed extensively many times in the past, so you'll probably find plenty more information/opinions doing a search :D)

Rob205
I've been running 309 beams on my 205's for a few years now, and am happy with the difference it makes to the car. I've built lots of them for people, and never yet had anyone that's unhappy :lol:

It certainly doesn't compromise the handling of the car - you lose a degree of the nervousness on the limit that the 205 rear gives, and replaces it with a much more planted feel, but one that can still be steered on the throttle as before. In some ways, it perhaps makes the whole package even more "hooligan" like, as it can be grabbed by the scruff of the neck and thrown around even more than before. Turn-in is slightly improved as well thanks to the stiffer bars, although with uprated bars available for 205 beams now this can done without the width (for a cost, of course)

One thing I will say is that if you're buying a used beam, get it rebuilt as they're all dead or dying these days in my experience. Also, the extra width limits what wheels you can run on the back - 6" odd wheels and 195 ish tyres are about the limit, which is fine for most people, but something to consider if you are thinking of running wider wheels.

I often go through Wantage on my way to and from work, and if needs be I'd be happy to take you for a quick spin in my '89 205 that has 309 suspension front and rear (amongst other suspension mods)

(205 vs 309 beams have been discussed extensively many times in the past, so you'll probably find plenty more information/opinions doing a search :D)

That's really kind of you, if you are coming through our way and can spare 5min then there'd be a brew in the kettle waiting. Do drop me a PM if so and I'll reply with my mobile number, though I'm away quite a bit so please do bear with me if I don't reply immediately,

Rob.

Henry Yorke

Another option is just to run some spacers / wider wheels on a standard 205 beam. A thicker anti roll bar does help with the plantedness, so I would probably try that first.

Batfink

The 309 beam fills the rear arches better.